Echo & Alexa Forums

Spotify cutting out

larrydenier

Spotify cutting out
« on: April 29, 2016, 01:18:01 am »
I linked Spotify to my echo Alexa. When I start a playlist it will play the first 3 seconds and then stops. Is my internet connection too slow?

mike27oct

Re: Spotify cutting out
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 05:14:57 am »
Unplug the Echo for around 10 seconds and then plug it back in.  See if it is better. This procedure fixes most anything.  No, your internet is not too slow, but your Echo could be in a Wi-Fi dead zone in its current location; if it is too far from router that could cause issues..  How do other music services sound? (e.g. TuneIn)

jonnyb

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 11:01:05 am »
I have the same thing, but with TuneIn. The stream will be playing fine, and then it will either just stop completely, or it starts to get choppy and stuttery.

Stopping and re-starting the stream works but it's a pain (as is restarting the Echo itself). It seems this is a problem that goes back to the Echo's release in 2014. Why hasn't Amazon fixed this?

DParker

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 11:37:35 am »
I don't think it's a general Echo issue.  I stream stuff from my Pandora account all the time without any problems at all.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 01:35:16 pm »
>>>   I have the same thing, but with TuneIn. The stream will be playing fine, and then it will either just stop completely, or it starts to get choppy and stuttery.

@johnnyb

The Echo barely needs much bandwidth to work and play music (2Mbps is approximate lowest, yet sufficient) but what it absolutely needs is a constant Wi-Fi signal strength from your router; even when bandwidth is higher. I would guess you have your Echo situated in a very weak area of your Wi-Fi signal strength, so if you can measure the strength with an Android app called Wi-Fi Analyzer and select a better location for Echo, do so.

Yes, some TuneIn stations can occasionally crap out, but that problem is with the station, not the Echo.

DParker

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 01:43:26 pm »
The Echo barely needs much bandwidth to work and play music (2Mbps is approximate lowest, yet sufficient) but what it absolutely needs is a constant Wi-Fi signal strength from your router; even when bandwidth is higher. I would guess you have your Echo situated in a very weak area of your Wi-Fi signal strength, so if you can measure the strength with an Android app called Wi-Fi Analyzer and select a better location for Echo, do so.

Or switch your router over to using a different channel if WiFi Analyzer (an excellent app) indicates crowding on the channel it's using using now (generally due to other routers in the area, like your neighbors').

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 01:55:28 pm »
Yep, Wi-Fi Analyzer is a great Android app.  Use it frequently for all its capabilities.

(Apple, being completely arrogant and elitist, as we have been discussing in another thread) will not allow an iOS version of Wi-Fi Analyzer or any other similar app.

markv

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 02:07:30 pm »
Yep, Wi-Fi Analyzer is a great Android app.  Use it frequently for all its capabilities.

(Apple, being completely arrogant and elitist, as we have been discussing in another thread) will not allow an iOS version of Wi-Fi Analyzer or any other similar app.

Me three. I use Wi-Fi Analyzer all the time, having 75 (and counting) wireless devices on my home network. Another great network tool is "Fing".

Not to start an Apple flame-fest, but I can't tell you how many of my iPhone-using friends go silent when they learn that WiFi analyzer tools are not available in the Apple app store. I think a few have even defected...  8)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 02:14:09 pm by markv »

Offline jwlv

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 04:49:32 pm »
Some devices, particularly Apple devices, will upload huge amounts of data to its iCloud storage at times when you least expect. Android devices do the same too, but syncing with Google Drive. And Microsoft devices sync with OneDrive.

I had both cable and DSL internet in the past. On both types of networks, whenever an iPhone or iPad decides to backup or sync with iCloud, it uses up all of the upstream bandwidth. Since cable and DSL are asynchronous, that upload wipes out the downstream bandwidth. Doing a speed test on my PC at that time will show very, very low bandwidth. And ping replies shoots up to more than 1000ms instead of the normal 30-40ms.

I can say with high confidence that if your music is cutting out, it's probably due to an Apple device (or another mobile device) draining all of your bandwidth. Next time you see this happening, turn off every mobile device you have in the house. Run a speed test on your PC and see what your bandwidth is at that moment, compared to what it should be normally.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:04:20 pm by jwlv »

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 05:02:03 pm »
OK, I am now motivated to write to Apple and complain about no Wi-Fi Analyzer for my iOS devices. (wish me luck getting results!)  Fortunately, I have Kindle (android) tablets, too.  Otherwise, I may have defected from iOS long ago.  Wi-Fi Analyzer is an essential app for people who use their router for more than getting email only.