Echo & Alexa Forums

Help with Managing Alexa Devices

petenun

Help with Managing Alexa Devices
« on: April 01, 2020, 04:07:14 pm »
First, I'll start by stating that I likely have a personal problem. In my home I have TEN various Echo devices from Echo Show, dot, and Fire TV Sticks. In addition, I have automated much of my house with light switches in every room, ceiling fan controls, TVs, XBox, Samsung SmartHome, and even my fireplace and garage door. Altogether (echo devices included), I have 46 devices all managed through the Alexa app, plus groups.

Now the question, How do I manage my devices when I can only view a handful on my mobile screen at a time? I can't seem to sort the list by name, by function, or any other means, and there is no search function. The Alexa app just shows me a random list of some of my devices. Is there a different app or web page that would allow me to control, sort, and organize my devices?

As a separate question, after changing the name of one of my devices such as "Bedroom Light" to "Bedroom Switch", Alexa still responds to the first "Bedroom Light" command. Is there a way to clear history and reset device names so that Alexa doesn't remember old device names?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

Re: Help with Managing Alexa Devices
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 05:45:27 pm »
at the bottom of the open alexa app, you can click on devices.  It will open and have the different type of devices at the top where you can see just echo devices, smartplugs, lights and so on.  I think that is the best at the moment

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 07:35:27 pm »
I don't think Amazon designed the Alexa app to be a master control panel for smart devices. The interface they've given us in the app is not efficient for everyday use to turn on/off smart devices. That's why it's much easier to control your smart devices by voice.

After changing device names, it may take a while before Alexa realizes the change. If you want Alexa to find the changes right away you'll have to ask Alexa to discover my devices.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 07:54:23 am »
There are a couple of apps that you may be able to configure to control your smarthome devices. However they may not have full support yet for some newer smart home products and aren't  as easy as Alexa to setup. SmartThings works with many devices and you can create custom device handlers for things not nativly supported.
HA-Bridge will control several smarthome device and includes several helpers for setup.
Do a Google search for other home automation solutions. Many Home Automation programs /apps will add additional possibilites to your setup.