Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa an rs232 control

Foneworkshop

Alexa an rs232 control
« on: March 21, 2020, 03:37:10 pm »
I have an app that currently sends a string via rs232 to turn on the tv, amp and sky Is it possible to send this via Alexa

Re: Alexa an rs232 control
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 05:47:45 pm »
need more detail as to what you are doing.  how are you turning on the tv, amp and sky with the string?   what is it going to (receiving) that made it possible.  what app?

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 10:04:50 am »
I have an app that currently sends a string via rs232 to turn on the tv, amp and sky Is it possible to send this via Alexa
it may be possible with a vaiation of this:
https://www.hackster.io/saka/alexa-voice-control-for-almost-any-amplifier-tv-cd-dvd-87fff1
However it may be more involved than what your looking for.. as renegade600 stated more info is needed. What app are you using? If it has a means to receive commands via command line or another method then options are greater

Foneworkshop

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 03:11:30 pm »
Ok so in more detail:-

I use command fusion iviewer app.  This allows to to create a GUI for home automation control

I open the app and select the room I am in
This brings up a GUI for all components in that room
Each device is connected via Lan cable or RS232

Sky box (rs232 control)
Sony AV Receiver (rs232 control)
PC (LAN Control via IP)
NAS (LAN Control via IP)
TV. (rs232 Control)

MOXA Nport ethernet/serial device (LAN IP Control)

So within the app I can send Control string to the moxa serial device via static IP, this string is then sent via the assigned rs232 port to the device connected on that port.

Ie send string to TV for On/Off

I now have a new TV that doesn’t have rs232 Control and for some reason LG do not have a manual that gives control code alternatives via IP.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 05:03:58 pm »
this is above me.   the following link may not help you but hopefully it can give you or someone else here ideas.  look like they are using alexa with their iview setup

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/commandfusion/W0MXm9WzS7Y

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 07:41:11 pm »

MOXA Nport ethernet/serial device (LAN IP Control)

So within the app I can send Control string to the moxa serial device via static IP, this string is then sent via the assigned rs232 port to the device connected on that port.

If you know the commands sent to the moxa IP address you could use HA-Bridge as a bridge for Alexa.