Echo & Alexa Forums

Disconnecting and reconnecting bluetooth within a routine

markhobley

Disconnecting and reconnecting bluetooth within a routine
« on: March 17, 2020, 12:00:04 am »
Can I disconnect or reconnect bluetooth devices as part of a routine? My echo dot and TV are sharing a bluetooth amplifier. I want a "set up for cinema" routine that disconnects the echo dot from the bluetooth so that the TV can use it. I can tell the dot to disconnect bluetooth using a voice command and that works, but I need the disconnect to work within a routine, rather than as a voice command.

Re: Disconnecting and reconnecting bluetooth within a routine
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 05:12:38 pm »
last I heard, you cannot give connect/disconnect bluetooth commands in a routine.   

markhobley

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 07:41:06 pm »
Yeah. That seems like bad design again. A voice command can disconnect it, so a routine should be able to disconnect it too. It is pretty basic functionality. I wonder if Amazon will patch it. Another idea is to allow us to be able to type the words that we would say to Alexa into a routine. This would help a lot with automation too.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 04:56:54 am »
Yeah. That seems like bad design again. A voice command can disconnect it, so a routine should be able to disconnect it too. It is pretty basic functionality. I wonder if Amazon will patch it. Another idea is to allow us to be able to type the words that we would say to Alexa into a routine. This would help a lot with automation too.

not bad design, just a security measure.  some door locks, some security cameras and who knows what else rely on bluetooth.    don't want intruders ask alexa to shut down your security.  until there is some sort of standard among the different smarthome devices and companies, some commands will remain unavailable.