Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa talks too much

Offline jwlv

Alexa talks too much
« on: March 14, 2020, 11:29:53 am »
Is there a way to keep Alexa from talking too much?

For example, if I ask, "What time is it?" Alexa will tell me the time and then add Have a nice day.
Or if I ask, "What's the weather today?" Alexa will give me the weather report and then ask if I want the weather for the weekend as well. This isn't exactly the follow up mode that can be switched on or off. And this isn't brief mode either. I'm not even sure what to call it. Maybe the extra ramblings mode?

Re: Alexa talks too much
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 12:55:23 pm »
I don't think there is a way to limit the ramblings and extra unnecessary comments alexa makes.   I have noticed some of those comments don't repeat themselves after saying no a time or two.    Now if I can only get rid of the one weather alert I am always getting when the mississippi riiver is at flood stage

bitstopjoe

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 05:18:45 pm »
I don't think there is a way to limit the ramblings and extra unnecessary comments alexa makes.   I have noticed some of those comments don't repeat themselves after saying no a time or two.    Now if I can only get rid of the one weather alert I am always getting when the mississippi riiver is at flood stage
Settings, home and clock, home content, near the bottom of the list ( weather Alerts) turn off. Lots of other stuff to turn off too there.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 05:43:44 pm »
Settings, home and clock, home content, near the bottom of the list ( weather Alerts) turn off. Lots of other stuff to turn off too there.

did not wall the alerts turned off, just that one.  kind of getting tired of it since it is already warning me it will hit flood stage on mar 21.   unfortunately you cannot pick and choose warnings and watches. 

bitstopjoe

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 05:46:24 pm »

I am able to turn off JUST the weather alerts on my Spot the way I described.

did not wall the alerts turned off, just that one.  kind of getting tired of it since it is already warning me it will hit flood stage on mar 21.   unfortunately you cannot pick and choose warnings and watches.

smarthomefocus

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 06:47:49 pm »
You can also try turning on Alexa Brief Mode if you haven't done so already.

This stops Alexa from saying "OK", but it also makes Alexa speak less on some responses.

Step to Turn on Brief Mode:
1. Go to settings
2. Click Voice Responses
3. Toggle on Brief Mode

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 07:01:35 pm »
You can also try turning on Alexa Brief Mode if you haven't done so already.

This stops Alexa from saying "OK", but it also makes Alexa speak less on some responses.

Step to Turn on Brief Mode:
1. Go to settings
2. Click Voice Responses
3. Toggle on Brief Mode

for some, brief mode is too brief.  I remember when before brief mode amazon changed alexa to just beep after commands.  you should have seen the uproar over it.  check early posts in this forum    For me, just do what I ask, no more, no less and make sure I can hear the confirmation.   when there was a beep, you could barely hear it.