Echo & Alexa Forums

Listening the doorbell and notify the user ????

urazyjazzy

Listening the doorbell and notify the user ????
« on: March 13, 2020, 07:49:24 am »
Hello guys and girls. Do you think  a feature like listening to a specific doorbell and notifying in every speaker would have been a good feature ???
I mean it does it with a broken glass while it's set in the Guard Mode . Why not just let us register  a noise such as a doorbell and notify us that it hears it.
The reason behind this is ; when I am working in my soundproof studio I cant hear my doorbell ring. And instead of buying a smart doorbell why not use the capabilities of our devices ??? Buying a smart doorbell would not work for me anyways since I live in an apartment 2ND floor not a private home... We could also use it as a baby monitor for instance. We can program in such a way that if it hears a baby crying voice or any sound higher than required decibel it notifies us or lets us hear the microphone of that particular device...
What do you guys think  ;)

Re: Listening the doorbell and notify the user ????
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 08:30:35 am »
You live in an apartment on the second floor? yet you have a soundproof studio? Buy the Smart doorbell... makes the most sense available... probably the least amount of wrk needed to notify you when someone rings the bell... You can already use the Alexas as a baby monitor, but *it* doesn't listen... you do (for specific sounds and noises). Nowadays a video monitor for the baby is relatively attainable for most folks as well.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

urazyjazzy

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 09:16:16 am »
You live in an apartment on the second floor? yet you have a soundproof studio? Buy the Smart doorbell... makes the most sense available... probably the least amount of work needed to notify you when someone rings the bell... You can already use the Alexas as a baby monitor, but *it* doesn't listen... you do (for specific sounds and noises). Nowadays a video monitor for the baby is relatively attainable for most folks as well.

Probably it is the language barrier again. When I say apartment I guess the term is flat in English. We have 10 Flats on the building which we call "apartment"  in our language and I live on the second floor and I have special room within my flat which is a soundproofed music studio  ;)  So no I can't use a smart doorbell where there is a central doorbell station at the entrance of the building. What I am asking is not out of the range of Alexa Echo's capabilities since it is able to recognise the glass breaking sound and notify you. Sound wave recognition is a pretty easy and common implementation on the software side. Shazam and google voice does this and they even take it further and recognize the whole song in a crowded environment ... Since all mics are listening to your house all the time hearing a specific soundwave and recognising it is not a difficult task....

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 07:33:19 pm »
UNderstood... Central doorbell system is a problem for sure. You can always integrate a single Google Home to handle the doorbell issue, if they already have the capability...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

froglips

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 02:45:02 pm »
Perhaps the easiest solution is just use a doorbell extender.  Hooks to current chime and wirelessly chimes when main wired chime activated.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019EDQH2I/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_GssBEb43A6S7M