Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo fire tv cube?

Echo fire tv cube?
« on: February 26, 2020, 05:09:40 pm »
So it is time for a new tv streaming device for my off grid place.  I have cable in the city and can stream the content on my phone however my old android box player is unsupported.
Fire sticks are out of the question with my slow internet connection there i need a Ethernet connection the cube supplies. I really don't  need an added Alexa device there so I'm  looking at the roku ultra as well.
I've used Android boxes and sticks in the past with some success as well as mini PC's.
Has anyone have any input on the fire tv cube?

Offline jwlv

Re: Echo fire tv cube?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 05:50:47 pm »
You can get an Ethernet adapter for the Fire TV Stick for $14.99.
---> https://smile.amazon.com/Amazon-Ethernet-Adapter-Fire-Devices/dp/B074TC662N/

As for the Fire TV Cube, the main difference I see is that it has a faster processor (hexa core), more RAM (16GB), and supports 4K. The TV Cube is kind of like an Echo Dot, with its own speaker and mic array. You can speak directly to it without using the voice remote.

There are two versions of Fire TV Stick (quad core, 8GB). One supports 4K, the other does not. To use Alexa on the Fire TV Stick, you need to use the voice remote.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 07:16:15 am »
You can get an Ethernet adapter for the Fire TV Stick....
Thanks jwlv, i had thought that was only for the cube. Looks like I'll have to do more research.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 04:39:08 pm »
what you get really depends on what you watch.  I just stuck my roku in a drawer, got a chromecast that is hanging off one tv and never used, and smarttv and dvd players that I use but without the smarts.   I guess I am not cut out for smart/casting streaming devices.   I just use a pc since it will stream everything.    I don't care about higher resolutions so I just use an older tv.    my only piece of advise is to make sure whatever you get will stream the channels you want since they are all not supported. 

what I like about using the pc is take me typing this post, I have the anime shield hero playing in another tab.   

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 06:12:23 pm »
my only piece of advise is to make sure whatever you get will stream the channels you want since they are all not supported. 

what I like about using the pc is take me typing this post, I have the anime shield hero playing in another tab.
Thanks renegade,
I actually was using a micro Pc then an android box then a Pi 3b+ for the same reasoning one device for multi functions.
If this wasn't a off grid place where I plan to use this I would probably still use the micro PC.
My pi handles most of my Home Automation web surfing and Alexa integration but is short on streaming performance.
I had free sat service up till last year providing 4 local channels, One was all I used. That free service is now terminated and they want $120 a year for the smallest package. the channel I was watching is available apparently on the fire stick as well as several other streaming devices.

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 08:25:05 am »
Well I went and ordered the Fire 4K TV Stick and ethernet addaptor. Adaptor will be here Monday the stick  wont get here till April :o ::)  ???