Echo & Alexa Forums

Get a Sandisk Connect to use with your Echo devices and lots others

leehop71

Re: Get a Sandisk Connect to use with your Echo devices and lots others
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 03:01:23 pm »
So, seriously, has anyone ordered one of these yet?  It can be a little tricky at times, so be sure to check in at the Sandisk support center for any questions and solutions:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17367/kw/wireless%20stick%20support%20information

Mike, can you connect a BT device to it without it plugged in, as long as it's in range?

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 03:47:10 pm »
all teasing aside, it looks like it would be perfect for those who have phones and tablets without card slots and need extra storage - especially while traveling

DParker

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 03:49:35 pm »
Mike, can you connect a BT device to it without it plugged in, as long as it's in range?

Per the product descriptions you can.  It's powered by its own internal rechargeable battery.

leehop71

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 03:52:26 pm »

Per the product descriptions you can.  It's powered by its own internal rechargeable battery.

That would be great for connecting to any music that's not on my Amazon Prime playlists!

mike27oct

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 11:22:52 pm »
Good questions guys, and to best answer some of them I likely will need to explain some details of how it works in real life.

Lee >>>  Mike, can you connect a BT device to it without it plugged in, as long as it's in range?

The Connect does not emit a BT signal, it emits a 2.4G signal like your router.  So, to use it, you connect a mobile device to it's Wi-Fi signal.  Then you use the Connect app that is made for popular phones and tablets, to control its play of music, photos and videos on that device.  And, if you want to play to the Echo devices, you use the BT of say, the phone to send to a BT receiving device.

Important to know that when you are connected directly to the Connect, and not your network, you have lost access to internet, etc.  No worry, because the Connect can be joined to your home network and you can be concurrently connected to both.  And, at home that is what happens each time I turn on the Connect once it had been set to connect to my network. It works just like my other wireless hard drive, so from using them, I know the device signals are all connecting at 2.4G, BUT, I can speed throughput  up by keeping my phone connected to the 5G signal and not 2.4G.  This has no effect on music, but it makes a big difference when playing videos; no stutter or jitter.  Also, by having the Connect tethered to the home network, I am not tethered to the Connect.  It's range is the whole house instead of "nearby" it.  I place the Connect near the router area instead of keeping it in my pocket as I would if I was out and about with it, like if on a bus to the local Mariners game.

renegade >>>  it looks like it would be perfect for those who have phones and tablets without card slots and need extra storage - especially while traveling.

How about basically NO storage.  I keep no media files on my iPhone or tablets.  I have different ways to stream media either locally and remotely, so that when I bought my iPhone, I got the stripped down model with only 16GB.  It costs another $100 for the 32GB model, but a Connect only cost me $40 for the 64GB model.  I am finding the Connect more useful around the home that I thought I would; especially having Echos around.  I can have it playing music on my phone, and then connect BT to the Dot dialed into the Dot/stereo combo, and play one of my curated playlists quickly and easily.  So, the Connect, (actually, any wireless drive) is useful for more than travel moments.  Since I have had wireless drives for a few years now, I "got" the concept of the pocket size Connect, and a device that can complete my set of wireless drives.  It is SO small, (compared to portable hard drives) and that is a big plus for me.  Try to pack a 2TB wireless drive around in your pocket!!

One last thing: I was using the Connect and playing it on my phone at the PC, and while the Connect was playing I plugged it into a pocket USB charger.  The battery was half-way charged, and when all was done I took the charger off and the Connect was fully charged.  I can do this each time when using it at home, and it will stay charged, so when I take it away from home it will be ready to go. Nice.

DParker

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 08:42:06 am »
This is yet another reason why I will not own an iPhone.  Phones that accept a microSD card accomplish the same thing for significantly less cost per GB, don't require you to carry a 2nd device (that also requires periodic recharging), etc.

But, if you don't have such a phone then this seems like a good solution.

mike27oct

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 02:30:11 pm »
Agree, I do not like my iPhone for same reason.  In fact, I do not like Apple Co. for this and other reasons.  The company has always been arrogant and elitist thanks to Steve Jobs.  Nevertheless, I do like my iPhone for many other reasons, so I put up with what little I don't like.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 10:56:59 pm »
Most people would agree that Apple is elitist and arrogant. They refuse to conform to standards.
For consumers, it's just a huge pain in the ass. When everyone else was using mini USB, Apple decided to use their proprietary 30-pin connector. Now everyone is using micro USB, and Apple sticks us with Lightning connectors. And you can't even buy cheap Lightning cables because they have to be MFI (Made For I-device) certified, meaning the aftermarket manufacturer has to pay a licensing fee to Apple, or else the iPhone will pop up a message saying the accessory is not supported. Apple used to be the innovators. Now they are just playing catch up. Two standard types of wireless charging (Qi and Powermat) have been around for several years. LG, Samsung, and others embraced it. Apple still haven't done it, probably because they want to create a 3rd standard without infringing on the former's patents. Apple touted their MagSafe magnetic charger for the Powerbook like they invented it. Heck, my Fry Daddy deep fryer had that some 20-years ago.

For a good laugh, watch this video on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyTA33HQZLA

mike27oct

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 05:02:27 am »
Yes, the video was funny; I passed it on to some true mac believers;  They will probably hate me for it; whatever.

Arrogant and elitist or not, I think Apple got it right with the lightning plug, and whoever came up with the stupidly designed micro USB got it all wrong.  Being vision impaired, I hardly ever screw up plugging in the male lightning plug; heck, it's easy and it even goes in either way. Whereas my Amazon devices (Kindles, Dots and Taps) micro USB plugs have only one way they go in and lining up the suckers is almost impossible to get the metal sides to fit right each time.  Heck, it's not either a male or a female plug; it's sort of both (does this make it a bi-sexual plug?). Why not!

Anyone who deals daily with these two plug formats knows exactly what I mean. Personally, I think the lightning plug is more "standard" than the micro USB kludge.  I wish Apple would let anyone use the plug's design.

Nevertheless, my praise of the lightning plug in no way takes Apple off the hook for being elitist and arrogant.

I wish Apple would embrace the DLNA standard better; try to find a decent Apple iOS app for accessing media via DLNA instead of as shared devices; whereas the Android world is full of DLNA enabled apps.  DLNA is the only way to play from Playlists, and is why I end up using my Kindle tablets much of the time to access and stream/play music from my server instead of using my iPhone.

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 05:51:45 am »
Yes, the video was funny; I passed it on to some true mac believers;  They will probably hate me for it; whatever.

Arrogant and elitist or not, I think Apple got it right with the lightning plug, and whoever came up with the stupidly designed micro USB got it all wrong.  Being vision impaired, I hardly ever screw up plugging in the male lightning plug; heck, it's easy and it even goes in either way. Whereas my Amazon devices (Kindles, Dots and Taps) micro USB plugs have only one way they go in and lining up the suckers is almost impossible to get the metal sides to fit right each time.  Heck, it's not either a male or a female plug; it's sort of both (does this make it a bi-sexual plug?). Why not!

Anyone who deals daily with these two plug formats knows exactly what I mean. Personally, I think the lightning plug is more "standard" than the micro USB kludge.  I wish Apple would let anyone use the plug's design.

Nevertheless, my praise of the lightning plug in no way takes Apple off the hook for being elitist and arrogant.

I wish Apple would embrace the DLNA standard better; try to find a decent Apple iOS app for accessing media via DLNA instead of as shared devices; whereas the Android world is full of DLNA enabled apps.  DLNA is the only way to play from Playlists, and is why I end up using my Kindle tablets much of the time to access and stream/play music from my server instead of using my iPhone.

however, wireless charging is the best.  When I get home, I would always lay my phone down in the same spot and forget to plug it in most nights.  Then nine times out of ten, when I do remember to plug in the phone, it takes three tries.  The first try didnt work, then turn the cable around and it would not work while realizing the first time was right.  finally I got smart and purchased a wireless charging setup and placed it where I was always laying the phone. 

vegasguy

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2016, 05:51:46 am »
That's why I always use a gold or silver sharpie to color the side of the micro usb cable that always face up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike27oct

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2016, 01:49:29 pm »
OK guys, my original post about the Connect has pretty much been hijacked for other interesting chatter, and I am as guilty as anyone.  So. to get back on topic, I will pass on this tidbit of trivia:

I left the Connect app of phone on in background when I finished with it last night.  Today, I fired up the Connect to auto-connect again to my router, then noticed the app was still in background and I did not have to start it and get it going again.  I just went into the menu and continued playing music where I had left off,  Easy, Peasy.