Echo & Alexa Forums

Get a Sandisk Connect to use with your Echo devices and lots others

mike27oct

At the end of 2015, Sandisk came out with their newest model of the "SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick".  I got mine shortly afterward. What is it?  It is a wireless flash drive you can put in your pocket, and which you have filled with your music, video and photo files so you can access and play to most any wireless device you have; including the Echo family.

Using the app on my iOS phone or tablet, I can access music, and play it on device, or send it via BT to any of the Alexa devices. Tonight I was playing music from the Connect on my new Dot and Tap (It works fine with an Echo, too.)  I love it for what it is and what it can easily do, and that it is the size of, well, a flash drive!

As an iTunes program user, it is so easy to put lots of music on it quickly. I like to have iTunes make random selections of 50 tracks from my music collection, and I copy each random group to a folder on the Connect plugged into my PC.  A few of these made, and I have fresh music for quite a while.  When I have played through them all, I just delete them and make five new 50-track collections to copy to the Connect.

But wait, there's more. I have mp4 movies files on the Connect, too, that I can watch on the iPad and iPhone; such as during an hour long bus ride to a baseball game.  I just take my pick -- music or movie.

The Connect comes in various capacities; I found the 64GB size gave the best bang for buck @$40.

Here's the Amazon link:  http://amzn.to/23U358j

Re: Get a Sandisk Connect to use with your Echo devices and lots others
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 05:22:33 am »
you are not getting paid if we click on that link, are you?  Most who use the amazon link shortener are affiliates. 

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 01:39:12 pm »
Renegade, give me a break!  Is this all you have to say about my telling you about a cool gadget?
Stop being so cynical and suspicious.

Haven't you ever heard about, and used, https://bitly.com/ to make shorter links?  I was just being a "nice guy" and not posting a 20 page long URL?

God, I WISH Amazon would pay me; I sure have paid them plenty over the years!

(BTW, Sandisk is paying me plenty to pitch their Connect!)  :P

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 03:53:20 pm »
just asking - you don't have to get your panties in a wad.   You posted an amazon link instead of a link to Sandisk's website so it was a valid question. 

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 04:48:00 pm »
That was a Bitly generated link.  Amazon had nothing to do with creating it.  So, now you know the shortened Amazon links are not necessarily coming from Amazon or someone affiliated with Amazon.

Full disclosure: the original Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Wireless-Smartphones-Computers-SDWS4-064G-G46/dp/B00ZCFYF2W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1461614688&sr=1-1&keywords=sandisk+connect

Anyway, I have had my Connect since early Jan, but waited until now to tell the forum about it after using it with Tap and Dot a while.  A few app and firmware updates later, and it is working real smoothly.  It is nice to have a personally curated "playlist" to quickly play on any Alexa device.  Was getting real tired of listening to the dummied-down, blasé Amazon Prime canned playlists for any genre.

Be sure to update FW if you get a Connect.  BTW, "You're Welcome" for thanking me for the link to such a cool product.

leehop71

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 05:00:58 pm »
After doing extensive research and hacking, I discovered Mike to be an Amazon undercover agent. He gets 25% of every product sold on Amazon, be it a third party sale or not!

He's on here to promote the products, for profit, and his current location and true identity is unknown and untrackable.  :o

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 07:04:08 pm »
Thanks, Lee, for blowing my cover! 
It's the sort of thing that can happen when one lives a mere 20 miles from Amazon headquarters.  Since I am further up in elevation from downtown, if I throw a rock REAL hard I can almost hit the headquarters building down on Lake Union!  It also doesn't hurt either that Jeff Bezos and I went to the same high school in Miami, FL to Palmetto HS. He was there years after I was, tho.  Yet, he created Amazon, and I didn't.  Sigh . . .  When I first read in the WSJ that some unknown guy was going to open a mail order book sales called Amazon in Seattle soon, I though, I ought to go down there since I work in book publishing and see about a job when they are taking apps. Then I though, but I HATE going downtown, so nah, never mind; they will fold up in a year or so.  SO-o-o-o-o-o wrong was I.  If I had only known then that Jeff and I both went to Palmetto, I could have been a VP or better!  ;)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:05:39 pm by mike27oct »

leehop71

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 07:10:51 pm »
Thanks, Lee, for blowing my cover! 
It's the sort of thing that can happen when one lives a mere 20 miles from Amazon headquarters.  Since I am further up in elevation from downtown, if I throw a rock REAL hard I can almost hit the headquarters building down on Lake Union!  It also doesn't hurt either that Jeff Bezos and I went to the same high school in Miami, FL to Palmetto HS. He was there years after I was, tho.  Yet, he created Amazon, and I didn't.  Sigh . . .  When I first read in the WSJ that some unknown guy was going to open a mail order book sales called Amazon in Seattle soon, I though, I ought to go down there since I work in book publishing and see about a job when they are taking apps. Then I though, but I HATE going downtown, so nah, never mind; they will fold up in a year or so.  SO-o-o-o-o-o wrong was I.  If I had only known then that Jeff and I both went to Palmetto, I could have been a VP or better!  ;)

Many stories I've heard like this, where if certain decisions and choices were made differently by certain folk...... sorry .... I won't go there .

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 07:20:31 pm »
But, I had a good "excuse" for at the time I had a daughter in her first year at Stanford, and my employer was granting her a $5000/year scholarship that would have gone "poof" had I quit my job.  Sigh . . . again.  But, she did well there, and later in life with great jobs all along.  So, in the end, I did make the right decision.

leehop71

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 07:25:46 pm »
But, I had a good "excuse" for at the time I had a daughter in her first year at Stanford, and my employer was granting her a $5000/year scholarship that would have gone "poof" had I quit my job.  Sigh . . . again.  But, she did well there, and later in life with great jobs all along.  So, in the end, I did make the right decision.

So many things more important than fame and fotune. Being a man of faith, the Lord and family being the top 2 for me.

I guess if you had ended up without a family living under a bridge, it might have been a little more traumatic?  :'(

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 01:37:20 am »
Ok, getting off topic too much; I apologize, but since I started the thread, it OK, but time to get back on topic if anyone cares to.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 04:19:45 am »
Ok, getting off topic too much; I apologize, but since I started the thread, it OK, but time to get back on topic if anyone cares to.

so you can hopefully get your cut from amazon????    ;-P

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 01:34:03 pm »
You keep getting it wrong; my cut is from Sandisk!  Anyway, we are supposed to get back on topic.  The "fun" with this is over.

leehop71

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 01:39:16 pm »
My bad. I carried this way off center .... (BTW renegade, Mike works for Sandisk and I work for Bose!)  ;)

mike27oct

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 02:09:01 pm »
So, seriously, has anyone ordered one of these yet?  It can be a little tricky at times, so be sure to check in at the Sandisk support center for any questions and solutions:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17367/kw/wireless%20stick%20support%20information