Echo & Alexa Forums

I would like the Echo to have a nightlight option.

iolinux333

I would like the Echo to have a nightlight option.
« on: April 25, 2016, 12:17:21 am »
"Alexa, turn on the nightlight" and the little ring would stay glowing brightly.

That is all.

Jean D

Re: I would like the Echo to have a nightlight option.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 09:04:55 pm »
A while back I made a suggestion on some research thing Amazon was doing, and I had suggested something similar.

My suggestions was to make the light ring do patterns and whatnot for ambiance.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 11:25:53 pm »
I would like the Echo to make my coffee in the morning!  Heck, Amazon and Starbucks could easily create a partnership; they are both Seattle companies!

iolinux333

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 07:25:54 am »
My wish is just a quick software hack, at the whim of the Echo software development team.

Your wish requires adding fluid, fairtrade, and satanic symbolism.

I agree coffee is better than a nightlight however.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 01:02:27 am »
I am glad we agree that coffee is better. 

Speaking of nightlights, last week I bought a small plug-in surge suppressor with 4 outlets at Home Depot for the new bedroom Dot, etc..  It has two LED indicators that shine outward and slightly down, and at night it is like two mini-headlights lighting my way across the floor to the bed. At first I freaked out at the light so bright, but I now kind of like it since I do not see it once in bed.

leehop71

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 09:07:18 am »
I am glad we agree that coffee is better. 

Speaking of nightlights, last week I bought a small plug-in surge suppressor with 4 outlets at Home Depot for the new bedroom Dot, etc..  It has two LED indicators that shine outward and slightly down, and at night it is like two mini-headlights lighting my way across the floor to the bed. At first I freaked out at the light so bright, but I now kind of like it since I do not see it once in bed.

I like the feature on the Nest Smoke Detector.  When all the lights are off, and it senses motion, it lights up a white night light to help 'light the path'.

Scooter

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 07:31:01 pm »
"Alexa, turn on the nightlight" and the little ring would stay glowing brightly.

That is all.

I thought your idea was a very good one.

Wellington

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 05:26:25 pm »
There is a skill in the Amazon Alexa Skill Store that allows you to use the light ring on an Echo or Dot as a night light.

https://www.amazon.com/ActualCalorie-Night-Light/dp/B01MCUDBVP/

Once enabled, the command is:

"Alexa, tell night light to turn on for XX seconds," where XX = 15, 30, 60 or 90

strayfish

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 07:45:52 pm »
Not available in the UK - so far, anyway.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 07:58:20 pm »
I just plug in those night lights with motion sensors around the room.
-Paul.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 09:30:11 pm »
There is a skill in the Amazon Alexa Skill Store that allows you to use the light ring on an Echo or Dot as a night light.

https://www.amazon.com/ActualCalorie-Night-Light/dp/B01MCUDBVP/

Once enabled, the command is:

"Alexa, tell night light to turn on for XX seconds," where XX = 15, 30, 60 or 90

That's quite clever! I suspect that the timer is limited to 90 seconds because Amazon does not allow any replies over 90 seconds. I assume that the skill is just playing a silent audio file in the various lengths in order to keep the blue light on during that time.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 09:50:45 pm »
The light ring doesn't seem to make for a very good night light anyway- it's only really good for showing you where the Echo is in a dark room, not where anything around the room is.
-Paul.