Echo & Alexa Forums

Mic sensitivity control Echo Dot

strayfish

Re: Mic sensitivity control Echo Dot
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 05:58:12 am »
Yes, I saw those but the occasions I'm talking about happened when there was complete silence and I was up close [except the TV thing, obviously, but that was very funny]. I do wonder if there might be wifi interference if it's plugged into the same socket board as another wifi device such as a doorbell receiver, but I'll need to spend a bit more time with it than just a couple of days. Also it's just dawned on me (go on, laugh!) that the remote only wakes the unit, it doesn't have its own microphone so the instruction can still get lost in ambient noise. One day for sure, I'm going to find Siri, Cortana, and Echo discussing me and deciding they'd be better off somewhere else!

iolinux333

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 09:17:27 am »
Echo should be able to hear you easily from across the room with normal voice if the room is quiet.

Either your wifi connection is poor or your Echo will need an exchange.

strayfish

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 11:24:06 am »
It could be the wifi, the problem seems to be intermittent and I'm not sure how capable it is of switching between the source wifi and my Devolo system. My iPad and phone do that to find the best reception - but I don't know if Echo can. Anyway, it's early days and there's a Dot on the way which might help. It has huge potential, I think, and I'm keen to get a good handle on it with a view to recommending it to a neighbour whose eyesight is deteriorating.

mike27oct

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 01:29:41 pm »
>>>  Also it's just dawned on me (go on, laugh!) that the remote only wakes the unit, it doesn't have its own microphone so the instruction can still get lost in ambient noise.

I do not know about the current remote; especially the UK version, but I can tell you this:  the original remote came with the Echo when first introduced, I got my Echo at that time, and the remote has a microphone, but it's button must be held in the entire time one is talking to remote.  Not just pressed in and start talking.

Also, one does not say the wake word when using the remote; (the button being pressed IS the "wake word") so just hold button in and start talking.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 01:33:27 pm by mike27oct »

strayfish

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 06:23:11 pm »
I'm still in the learning phase here really,  getting used to saying the wake word before the instruction, so yes I've probably also been saying it unnecessarily while pressing the microphone switch (sheesh!). BUT - and thank you for this reminder - I recall now a comment on another forum about holding that switch down while giving an instruction. Ach!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to like this a lot though, and quite soon.

strayfish

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 08:33:37 am »
Also it's just dawned on me (go on, laugh!) that the remote only wakes the unit, it doesn't have its own microphone so the instruction can still get lost in ambient noise.

Oh dear, it's a 'let's be original and try reading the enclosed leaflet' moment! Just in case anyone dropped in and saw my comment about the remote not having its own microphone - it does, but you have to hold the button down (leaflet says that too) to keep it live. Amazingly, it works pretty well then. Ahem - I'll get my coat ...

mike27oct

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 01:02:31 pm »

strayfish

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 02:11:05 pm »
Thanks for that  :)

Danny_Hays

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 01:13:52 pm »
I just read today that with the new Dot,  the closest one to you will answer using ESP (Echo Spatial Perception). Check out this link. Scroll down to "ESP" I have a version 2 Dot on the way so let us know if this helps. Danny Hays   
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DFKC2SO?ref=&tag=&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g-Buy_Five,_Get_One_Free&hvrand=18185439101043989605&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c

stusviews

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 09:07:11 pm »
ESP works. I have an Echo and a Dot in the same room. I formally gave each a different wake word to avoid both responding, but now they have the same wake word and only one responds.

mike27oct

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 03:15:33 am »
Has there been any news release from Amazon that ESP has actually been activated with the new firmware?

onesmartcrib

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2020, 12:50:18 pm »
You can't at least not yet with the older generations. I have several Echos and they regularly tripped over each other until I employed the tactics that I blog about here:

https://www.onesmartcrib.com/how-to-adjust-alexa-voice-sensitivity/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:53:02 pm by onesmartcrib »