Echo & Alexa Forums

Missing Credentials & Echo Amnesia

LucasTanner

Missing Credentials & Echo Amnesia
« on: February 07, 2020, 09:51:14 am »
My daughter received an Echo for Christmas ~2-3 years ago.  I helped her get it set up via the Alexa app on her phone on Christmas day.  Now Christmas day in my house is quite hectic (5 youngish children) so I am usually scrambling to help all of the kids with their new stuff.  That said, I didn't take the time to write down the account credentials we used to setup the Echo (boo on me, I know).

Fast forward ~2-3 years, my daughter has been using her Echo daily for listening to music, and the Echo had established a profile on her musical tastes, etc. and she could simply request it to play a song and it would pick something she likes.  About 2 weeks ago, she had a friend over and said friend tried to connect her own phone to my daughter's Echo.  I have no idea what she did and neither does my daughter, but somehow the Echo no longer remembers my daughter's name, any of her musical preferences, nor will it let her play music at all other than brief song samples.

I have an Amazon Prime account, and I must have used this account when I originally set up my daughter's Echo as she has been able to listen to music up until the unfortunate friend event.  Problem is, when I log into the Alexa App on my daughter's phone using my credentials, the Echo still has no memory of her past history.  Further, when I check registered devices in my Amazon account, there is no reference to an Echo.

I am at a loss as to what to do next and was hoping someone might have a suggestion.  Is there any way to check what account an Echo is registered to? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Missing Credentials & Echo Amnesia
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 02:03:13 pm »
sounds like voice recognition might have been turned off.   There is no way to check to see what account the echo is associated with.   Maybe call amazon. 

need clarification - is she still able to use the echo?

LucasTanner

Re: Missing Credentials & Echo Amnesia
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 04:04:08 pm »
Thanks for the reply. To clarify, yes she can use the Echo, but it's as if it's the first time. Meaning, if she says “Alexa, play a song I like” Alexa will respond with “I don’t know enough about your musical preferences” (or something to that effect). Further, if she asks Alexa to play a specific song, it will only play a snippet instead of the whole song. Given the above, I’m guessing that voice recognition is still on, correct? I haven’t used the Echo myself, so I’m not very familiar with its operation.