Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Setting up Alexa/Echo for elderly parent

Setting up Alexa/Echo for elderly parent
« on: February 05, 2020, 05:59:20 pm »
My mum (98) lives on her own. She is getting very forgetful but is fiercely independent. Her nearest semi-able-bodied relative (76) is 40 minutes drive away. We try to keep her on track with a paper diary and a telephone, but it's a very hard job. She mis-enters and misreads and so often misses appointments with friends, the doctor, etc. I think an Echo in her sitting room could be a huge help, linked to a Google Calendar that we can remotely control. But she has no internet in her house, so (1) we have to get the internet set up and a router installed, (2) we have to install an Echo. I'm no Alexa expert, but I do have it in my own house and so I have an Alexa account and app. How could I set up an Alexa account for her? She has no smartphone. If I show up with my phone or laptop it will have my Alexa account on it. Can I have TWO Alexa accounts on the same device/laptop? I need to be clear how/whether this is going to work before I embark on this project. Has anyone done anything similar? Any help appreciated.

Offline Laurel

Re: Setting up Alexa/Echo for elderly parent
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 10:15:06 pm »
If you do a search on this group for setting up alexa for elderly, you will find all the information you need. Good luck.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 06:09:47 am »
Thanks, Laurel. I should have tried that first. I still need more info, but that tip has let me make some progress and get me started. Thanks again.

Offline Laurel

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 12:37:25 pm »
You are welcome. Maybe if you have some specifics some of us can help.