Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Show 8 as Home Automation Console

Soxfan1966

Echo Show 8 as Home Automation Console
« on: February 03, 2020, 06:39:26 pm »
Thinking about getting an Echo Show 8 for my kitchen.   I'd like to use it to display HomeGenie via a web browser bookmark.

HomeGenie is the home automation software I use, you access it via a web browser.

I have several Echos but am not familiar with the Show at all.

Is it possible to have a web page display on the device?  Can you set a home page or save bookmarks?

Offline jwlv

Re: Echo Show 8 as Home Automation Console
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 12:36:43 am »
Echo Show 5 and Show 8 have built-in web browsers. Amazon doesn't really talk about it or promote its use. But it's there. How compatible it might be for websites that has dynamic content is yet to be seen.

If you are planning to use it as your home console for HomeGenie, it probably will work. But keep in mind that even if you leave the web browser open on the HomeGenie page, after a few minutes the Echo Show will go back to its normal idle/home screen.

Soxfan1966

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 05:54:28 am »
You mention that after some period of time the display returns to the home screen.   Is it possible to easily return to the browser in the same spot you had been?  Or do you need to start a new browser session?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 04:38:59 pm »
Yes, you can just open the browser again and it'll be in the same spot.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 08:20:54 pm »
Those of you familiar... I tried to use a Fire Tablet (Nice one... 10" HD unit) and use the Alexa App the way the OP would like to use the Home Genie page... I open the Alexa App and choose a screen and the "console it offers up will let me go to a specific item and I'd like to leave it there and be able to return to it by "opening" the cover and swiping the screen to open to the last item I was on... It always resets the page to the home page of the Alexa app, and I have to select to the item again (which maybe 3 screens or four) to get to the Switch I want to operate with it. The point behind the "console" is to allow the old people a simple way to control a plug and turn on lights when they enter a room. So far this makes it more difficult. Is there another app or way to program a smaller fire tablet (I have a 7" tablet that would be great if the Alexa app was faster... but anything I can do with it would be best as that one is the one I HAD set up and is mounted to be the console for the room intended)... I don't have a lot of time to work on this right now or I'd probably have already figured it out... I have been put on night shift work and my schedule is killing my off-work time with dead time where I can't take on long tasks due to being so tired I can't think...

Thanks for nay advice or help... Just gotta get something working before the old people in my house start getting more cranky about the way the automation isn't really making things very automated...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 07:31:07 am »
Those of you familiar... I tried to use a Fire Tablet (Nice one... 10" HD unit) and use the Alexa App the way the OP would like to use the Home Genie page...
The Alexa app isn't  geared towards controlling, more to setup for voice control and simple testing. There are several apps that are.
HomeGenie will interface with several different homeautomation protocols as will the smartthings app or other HomeAutomation programs. However many require a computer of some kind to be running. If you don't mind total cloud base control try the SmartThings app, it doesn't  require a computer.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 08:30:26 am »
Since you can use apps apparently with a show and HomeGenie does have a couple of apps. I wonder if using one of those apps would be better suited then the browser. I have HomeGenie and have used both Android apps but don't have a show however I find the apps are quicker.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 09:06:05 am »
If you don't mind total cloud base control try the SmartThings app, it doesn't  require a computer.

Does this approach require a Smart things Hub? or can I run the program using the tablet I have already? I don't mind buying the hub if it will control what I need it to control.

I spent weeks working out all the details on my initial Alexa and Hue and Harmony hub stuff before working out a purchase that worked out. This single issue is the only thing I haven't had time to work on very much. I've tried using the 10 inch tablet as well and find it to be very slow too... was highly disappointed in that. So 2 tablets (that I had) and no joy... be glad to buy something else if I can find the solution first. I'm really only trying to switch a single Alexa Smart Plug... I wired the kitchen lights through it to have it control existing lighting (that will be a huge undertaking to replace/update, as they're (8) 2 tube fluorescent tube fixtures, 4 feet long All recessed and covered by plastic diffusers like typical commercial fluorescent lighting... but in an 8'x8' grid).
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 09:16:12 am »
I have no hubs at all in my setup. My HomeGenie runs on A $5 Pi zeroW board.
Ive used SmartThings in the past and believe soxfan1969 does currently too. It will connect to several brand Hubs, you don't  need to get a SmartThings one. Infact it is possible to use the SmartThings app without any hub as I did.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 08:24:45 pm »
Sounds great... Can I run The Home Genie App without the Pi zero as well? or do I have to have some sort of physical item to put together... again... I don't mind buying stuff (at least fairly reasonable pricing required... not a few grand or anything). I was just looking at all the stuff Yonomi does and plan to try that as a console. I used it for a while for my Entertainment system along with the Harmony hub, and it worked fine... but Harmony somehow updated their stuff to not require the app from Yonomi any longer. But It does use a simple "Button" style interface when it's opened, and I think if it will stay up and running while the tablet sleeps and open when you swipe the Lock Screen... It could do the job. From what I've read everyone loves the Smart things products and system pretty much, I'm just not a Fan of anything Samsung... too many bad experiences with products they sell. Not entirely sure they make everything they badge, but some totally tanked experiences though.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 07:29:16 am »
HomeGenie will run on a pc running windows or linux it will also run on a mac or pi.However I'm not sure you need it. You can find it here:
http://homegenie.it more info can be found on its forum https://homegenie.club  it is worth checking out inany case.

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 11:13:01 am »
Had a set back this weekend, as my wife ended up in the hospital. I appreciate the input though, and have been looking at the website already. Thanks for the Forums link... It may help as well.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro