Echo & Alexa Forums

New to Alexa

gadib

New to Alexa
« on: January 29, 2020, 01:59:54 pm »
Hi,
I am new to Echos and Alexa.
I played around a bit with an Echo at my sisters home.

I would like a device or devices that for a start will:
Show me the internal temprature
Show me the external temprature
Be an alarm clock

I think the Echo Show 5 will do the first and last, but I can't seem to find something that will give me the external temperature.

Can anyone confirm that the Echo Show 5 has a temprature sensor?
What would you suggest for an external temprature sensor.

Thanks

Gadi

Re: New to Alexa
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 06:02:30 pm »
what do you mean it does not show external temperature?    or are you getting internal (inside the house) and external (outside) mixed up?   it does not show insidel but will tell you - unless I missed some setting.  and it will show the outside temperature.  I believe it has a sensor.  I just asked on in a closed off room and it had a different temperature than the living room.  I have three show 5's.

gadib

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 12:04:16 am »
There is a difference between data you can get from a weather service (like weather.com) and data you measure yourself.

There would have to be some kind of sensor outside that somehow communicates with the echo device inside.

Gadi

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 04:33:09 am »
There is a difference between data you can get from a weather service (like weather.com) and data you measure yourself.

There would have to be some kind of sensor outside that somehow communicates with the echo device inside.

Gadi

Gadi

temperature not going to be exact no matter where the sensor is.  two feet a part can be different.   you can get sensors but they would be those that work with smart thermostats.  not sure if they work with alexa but if the thermostat works with alexa, quite possible the sensors should. 
next time be more specific. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 02:10:39 pm »
If all you want is the temperature outside, just ask for the weather. Alexa will tell you the current weather for your local area. It won't be the exact temperature outside your house but it should be close enough. And you won't need to buy or install any sensors.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 02:16:17 pm »
The Show 5 does not have a temperature sensor. I believe the only echo devices that have a temperature sensor is the Echo Plus. If you don't have an Echo Plus, the only way to get the indoor temperature is to have a smart thermostat like the Google Nest thermostat, Ecobee thermostat,  or something similar.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 05:57:49 pm »
The Show 5 does not have a temperature sensor. I believe the only echo devices that have a temperature sensor is the Echo Plus. If you don't have an Echo Plus, the only way to get the indoor temperature is to have a smart thermostat like the Google Nest thermostat, Ecobee thermostat,  or something similar.

it doesn't???   all I know is I asked  two different shows 5s and got two different answers.  oh well...

Offline jwlv

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 01:17:16 am »

it doesn't???   all I know is I asked  two different shows 5s and got two different answers.  oh well...

I'm 99.99% certain that the Echo Show 5 does not have a temperature sensor. I bought five Echo Show 5's between Black Friday & Christmas. Although they do report indoor temperature, it's getting it from my Nest thermostat.