Echo & Alexa Forums

Disable Censorship?

Akuma no Tsubasa

Disable Censorship?
« on: January 20, 2020, 07:56:19 am »
Hello,

it is now about 4 weeks that I have an Alexa Dot 3 and it can be quite fun, but the hyper restricted and extremely censored system to abide laws and over-political-correctness is killing the fun and also functions. Often Alexa will shut off because of possible censor-problems on totally normal lines of text, bleep stuff out.

I mean I am an adult person, almost 40 years. Shouldn't I be able to determine myself if I can survive hearing the bad F-word?

For example, and the final reason to find a way to disable censorship: I was just asking Alexa to announce my arrival and she shup off instantly as if I had used a bad word. I told her in german "Alexa, kündige meine Ankunft an.". No reply, just the sound for badwords and off. Same if I ask for music, quotes, movie titles etc. that contain words that Amazon thinks they are bad.

The most thing you read is COPA and stuff but seriously, those do not disallow a button to disable those "features" as there are actually people on this planet that don't have kids for example or are just mature and intelligent enough to not get heart attacks on bad words.

Also that censor is mega random. If you make Alexa say "ficken" it gets bleeped out. If you make her say any other version like "Man, ist das ein Ficker" she speaks it totally fine.

Since we have SDKs and stuff at our hands, I still hope there is a way to patch that system to stop all of this and have more fun with Alexa.

kind regards,
Akuma

p.s. Please do not go into morale-mode and explain why censor is good and stuff, this is really nothing I want to discuss. Thanks.

Re: Disable Censorship?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 02:16:31 pm »

p.s. Please do not go into morale-mode and explain why censor is good and stuff, this is really nothing I want to discuss. Thanks.

so you too want to censor comments with that statement!!!   IMO, you are being hypocritical.