Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot -- use both bluetooth and wired?

Kelleytoons

Echo Dot -- use both bluetooth and wired?
« on: April 08, 2016, 05:32:07 am »
Can someone with a Dot tell me if you plug in a speaker to the wired is it still possible to use bluetooth (either with or instead of the wired connection)?

I'd like to *normally* have this wired but when I turn my bluetooth receiver on then have it pair up with the bluetooth.  I don't want to keep plugging and unplugging it if I don't have to do so.  However, I'm fairly sure the plug will autodefeat any bluetooth ability.  Folks have said the Dot autopairs, so that would be great WHEN the bluetooth is turned on, but the rest of the time...

(I assume that if you are using the bluetooth option and the bluetooth receiver is turned off it defaults to the onboard speaker).

leezard

Re: Echo Dot -- use both bluetooth and wired?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:51:07 pm »
I have my dot paired via bluetooth to a JBL Charge 2+ as well as plug in directly to it. 

If it is playing via the wired connection I can say "Alexa connect to my speaker" and it will connect via bluetooth. Other than the brief pause in whatever is playing and the dot stating it is connected to the speaker playback is uninterrupted.

Same goes when I say "Alexa disconnect my speaker" it switches to the wired connection.

bluetooth lights on the speaker come on when it is connected to the Dot and turn off when it isnt. Dont have to unplug the wired connection at all.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 04:46:44 am »
Thanks for the question and the answer.  After seeing this post, I had to try it as my Dot is connected to stereo input.  I tried to connect two different BT speakers.  I connected speaker1, and after it was connected and played a while I disconnected it, and then setup speaker2.  Turned it off, and tried to connect speaker1 again, and it connected right away.  No command needed in this instance.  It did turn off when I asked Dot to disconnect the speaker.  It all works fine, and it will likely connect to the other Dot that has a small little speaker plugged into it, even with small speaker still connected.  So, an instant speaker upgrade when needed and no unplugging of any wires. Cool.

Kelleytoons

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 08:21:57 am »
Yeah, I do appreciate the answer although my Dot is arriving today so it's a bit late to help me out (I made some decisions on how I was going to wire stuff up based on the assumption it would NOT do both -- although in general I'm happy as a direct connection is always better anyway).

Cool that it works, though.

mikewmorgansr

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 07:02:04 pm »
My Dot is connected via wire to the AUX input of a radio.  I paired the Dot with an Amazon basics Bluetooth receiver.  The Dot will not disconnect from the receiver.  It acts as though it's going to, but stops and retains the Bluetooth connection.  I have to tell it to forget the Bluetooth device, then I have to power cycle the Dot to get it to play through the wired connection again.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 10:12:30 pm »
What is the "Amazon basics Bluetooth receiver" plugged into; some sort of non BT speaker?

mikewmorgansr

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 10:52:16 pm »
It's connected to a clock radio.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 11:18:00 pm »
I have a tiny BT receiver, too.  When I use it and want to disconnect, I just tell the echo device to "disconnect Bluetooth"  If it doesn't, then the BT receiver has a power switch, or it can just be unplugged to radio.