Echo & Alexa Forums

Help with routine please

Clareh

Help with routine please
« on: January 01, 2020, 06:12:51 pm »
I have set up a simple Alexa routine for my elderly father for the start of the day - it tells him the day, time and weather and notifies me that he is alive.  It is triggered by him simply saying ‘Alexa, good morning.’

As part of this (or a separate) routine, I would like for Alexa to tell my father what is happening each day.  This needs to be non-time-specific so along the lines of ‘Mary is visiting you today’ or ‘Boots are delivering your medicine today’.  There might be one or a few happenings.  Ideally I would like to link in a calendar but as far as I can see, events on all the supported calendars either have to be allocated a specific time and duration which Alexa then announces, or they can be all-day events which Alexa announces as ‘taking place all day’.  We never know what time his visitors are arriving or how long they are staying so either scenario would be confusing to him. ( Allocating morning afternoon or tonight would be ok.)

I would like to avoid entering in his schedule each day as a lot of the events are recurring.  Please does anyone have any suggestions on how I can work round this?  Thank you.

Offline kenf

Re: Help with routine please
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 09:18:12 am »
I think you've tested all the obvious stuff and found it not quite helpful.

I would have started with the calandar, assuming the "What my day like" default routine would trigger listing the day's events.

But the details of its behavior aren't quite what you wanted.

Routines can't trigger skills, or else you could make it tie into something like IFTT.

I reckon at the simplest, make a Routine that responds with custom text, but you'll have to change the text the night before so it'll say the right thing.  Heaven help you if you forget a day.

Marco

Re: Help with routine please
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 07:57:25 pm »
How about setting up an e-mail account and then having such action (e-mail) included in the routine linked to this account?

All you have to do is remember to send messages from your e-mail with the "events" to the new account on the day before