Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Samsung TV and HDMI ARC

njonesnm

Alexa Samsung TV and HDMI ARC
« on: December 29, 2019, 07:31:07 pm »
I tried searching every where for an answer to this but seems I maybe the only one having this issue. I am new to the Echo DOT, Alexa and Smart Homes but learning fast.

Any way my issue, I have a Samsung Smart TV with a Fire TV stick and a Yahama YAS-108 sound bar connected to the HDMI ARC port. Alexa can do all the things it should except control the volume on the HDMI ARC port. I can mute and un-mute but cannot change the volume with voice control. Alexa accepts the command and replies with "OK" but nothing happens.

Thanks for your help

Noel.......
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:21:57 am by njonesnm »

njonesnm

Re: Alexa Samsung TV and HDMI ARC
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 09:25:18 am »
As a follow up. When going to devices in the Alexa app, I have 3 TV's for the same TV. I have Fire TV connected with the Fire TV Stick. I have TV which is a Samgsung TV connected with the Fire TV and I have TV connected with SmartThings. I am certain there is a conflict going on there that could be the cause of the issue.

I think at least one should be removed but not sure which.

Thanks

Noel

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 03:28:48 pm »
what is the command you are using?

njonesnm

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 05:44:45 pm »
The names of the 3 TV's are Living Room Fire TV, Living Room TV, and TV.

When I say "Alexa, turn up the volume on Living Room Fire TV" I get a white ring for a second and then nothing.
When I say "Alexa, turn up the volume on Living Room TV" I get the response "OK" but then nothing.
When I say "Alexa, turn up the volume on TV" I get the response "The device is not responding, please check it's connection"

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 03:46:30 am »
try telling how much to turn the volume up.  for example say five percent.  also try the command - turn the volume up 5% on...

njonesnm

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 09:35:22 am »
I'll give that a shot.... One other thing. If I switch to the built-in TV speakers she works and can turn up and down the volume. Just not when using the HDMI-ARC port.

It seems I need to find a setting some where that tells Alexa I am using the HDMI-ARC for audio but I have not found that setting yet.

Thanks for the reply's

Noel

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 10:36:47 am »
I tried searching every where for an answer to this but seems I maybe the only one having this issue. I am new to the Echo DOT, Alexa and Smart Homes but learning fast.

Any way my issue, I have a Samsung Smart TV with a Fire TV stick and a Yahama YAS-108 sound bar connected to the HDMI ARC port. Alexa can do all the things it should except control the volume on the HDMI ARC port. I can mute and un-mute but cannot change the volume with voice control. Alexa accepts the command and replies with "OK" but nothing happens.

Thanks for your help

Noel.......

does your soundbar have a IR remote? if yes you can use an IR blaster linked to Alexa skill.
Echo Dot @ SG

jvk of md

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 12:16:33 pm »

Thanks for your help

Noel.......

2 possibilities... a yamaha skill so you can say "alexa ask yamaha to set volume at xxx  or a samsung smartthings skill which also req's the smartthings hub

Offline kenf

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 09:06:19 am »
the soundbar is going to need volume setting handled separately.

It's like once you hook one up, the volume on the TV remote doesn't work.  That's your clue. Same thing if you use fiber-optic from the TV to the sound bar (what I got).

An IR blaster works, which is why I could set volume from my xbox one remote.

Doesn't the Fire Cube have an IR blaster?