Echo & Alexa Forums

Can an "Echo" command an "Echo dot" in same network with IFTTT

amazonlaser

Hi all,
I have an Echo ("Alexa wakeup word"), and i love it. I am using it heavily for home automation.
I recently got the Dot("Amazon wakeup word") for the sole purpose of the audio out to my stereo.
I am using IFTTT to automate stuff.
My goal is to issue commands only to Alexa and have it play my Dot. For example, I want my Echo unit to make my Dot play Jazz off amazon prime.
The Dot is in a closet so its not optimal for hearing commands. Also i want to keep it simpler by only issuing commands to the main Echo unit.

My ideas:
- Use IFTTT - the problem is IFTTT only knows about one echo device?
- Somehow pair the echo to the dot.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

DParker

Re: Can an "Echo" command an "Echo dot" in same network with IFTTT
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 02:28:30 pm »
Hi all,
I have an Echo ("Alexa wakeup word"), and i love it. I am using it heavily for home automation.
I recently got the Dot("Amazon wakeup word") for the sole purpose of the audio out to my stereo.
I am using IFTTT to automate stuff.
My goal is to issue commands only to Alexa and have it play my Dot. For example, I want my Echo unit to make my Dot play Jazz off amazon prime.
The Dot is in a closet so its not optimal for hearing commands. Also i want to keep it simpler by only issuing commands to the main Echo unit.

My ideas:
- Use IFTTT - the problem is IFTTT only knows about one echo device?
- Somehow pair the echo to the dot.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm trying to figure out the logic of buying a $90 product that was created to be an interactive voice command interface device, then sticking it in a closet to act as nothing more than a streaming music renderer, which could be accomplished just as effectively with something much cheaper, like an old tablet or some such (like streaming content players created specifically for that purpose).  I ask because it suggests that there's something missing from what you've told us that could be instrumental in suggesting solutions to your problem.  That said....

What home automation solution(s) are you using?  Are you relying solely on IFTT, or do you have one of the hubs (SmartThings, Wink, etc)?  Or are you using only devices that Echo integrates directly with?  Or some mix of the three?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:32:52 pm by DParker »

ScottinPollock

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 02:36:46 pm »
I think you're gonna hit the wall here. Echo's IFTTT channel has no actions; only triggers, so IFTTT can't tell an Echo to do anything.

Plus Alexa is also, at this point, not capable of instructing music playback on another device. Hoping this will change down the road, but for now I see no simple way for you to accomplish what you want.

amazonlaser

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 02:44:28 pm »
Thanks for your response.

You are correct, in its not the most effective use of the dot.  I have an older receiver and couldn't really find a smart device that could do it that wasn't around the same price.  I thought the two amazon devices could connect to each other, but i didn't research it enough, i just assumed.

I have a Logitech harmony hub, and IFTTT, and a windows server (doing nothing yet, but im tinkering).
I left this stuff out of the picture since i didn't want to add that layer of complexity into the mix.
Logitech still doesn't support the Echo products directly. I use IFTTT commands from my Echo to kick off the remote activities. I could get creative with the Dot to get the commands to it, but wanted to try and use the main Echo as my first choice.

DParker

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 03:02:16 pm »
I have a Logitech harmony hub, and IFTTT...

I think that's the answer to your problem (or at least a partial answer, given that the Harmony Hub is an entertainment device control solution).  I don't think there's a workable solution based on the Dot.  Were I in your shoes I'd take the Dot out of the closet (insert your own jokes there) and put it to use it for what it's designed to do, then replace it with something designed to render streaming internet content and then work on getting the Echo to trigger Harmony Hub activities, which then drive the rendering device (via the Harmony IR blaster(s)).  You might be able to use IFTTT for that (see examples here: https://ifttt.com/connect/harmony/amazon_alexa)...or you might need to stick some more toes into the home automation pool and invest in a setup for SmartThings, Apple HomeKit, etc.

ETA:  Here's a good description of using an Echo to trigger Harmony Hub activities:  http://www.tomsguide.com/us/connect-amazon-echo-harmony-remote,review-3465.html
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:07:26 pm by DParker »

ScottinPollock

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 03:12:42 pm »
I left this stuff out of the picture since i didn't want to add that layer of complexity into the mix

I think you'll need it. I use SmartThings to get Alexa to talk to my server, and then everything happens from there. In my case it is a Mac because it offers the best interapplication communication. I can script what AirPlay/Bluetooth targets should be chosen, and which playlist. Audio components are controlled from python scripts talking to Global Caché iTach units.

But my music is local. The one thing I don't have an answer for is a settop box that has a simple, remote controllable interface for Amazon Prime Streaming. Everything I have used (AppleTV, GoogleTV, AndroidTV) involves launching an App and negotiating an on-screen interface to do this.

I really think you should rethink your placement of the Dot so you can talk to it directly. WAY simpler then trying to reinvent this wheel.

DParker

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 03:15:57 pm »
I really think you should rethink your placement of the Dot so you can talk to it directly. WAY simpler then trying to reinvent this wheel.

Yeah, that is the simplest approach.  So long as each Echo device has its own name I don't really see the point of not just using it directly.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 04:25:00 pm »
For what it's worth (not much; there's no real utility value here) I just told the Tap, "simon says, Alexa, play prime music jazz", walked over to the Echo with Tap and told the Tap "repeat" and it gave the command and got the Echo playing Prime music jazz.  Big deal. other than knowing that Alexa understands Alexa.

Re, the Dot in the closet:  OK, keep the Dot out and next to the closet, get an appropriate mini stereo audio female to male extension cord long enuff to run under closet door, and plug that into the stereo's input.  Now, your Dot is more useful and not kept in purgatory anymore.   You can only hear it through the stereo, though.  Maybe you have an old iPhone, etc with BT not being used for anything today other than as a paper weight.  Well, use that to send commands to stereo, perhaps.

shortstop

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 10:20:40 pm »
If you want to control the Dot in the equipment room with your voice you could use the Voice Remote ($29) provided it's in bluetooth range.  Not exactly what you wanted to do because you are not speaking to Alexa but would solve the problem.

Westport

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 09:30:48 am »
I have a similar quest.  I have sonos and connected my echo dot to the line-in in my bedroom.  This works awesome.  I can issue voice commands to change songs on Spotify that play over sonos.  Being that I have sonos in several rooms in my house, I can listen to the same stream everywhere.

This utopia us crushed when I walk into my kitchen and can't issue a voice command to the echo in my kitchen to change the song streaming through the dot upstairs.  It would be great to enable the echo to be able to act as a remote for the dot.   
I really don't want to be walking around with the remote.   

lfmurdock

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 07:06:33 pm »
Probably best to buy the $20 voice remote and pait it to the DOT and keep it in the kitchen.