Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

dot and show

cookie

dot and show
« on: December 26, 2019, 03:36:31 pm »
I have a dot and am getting a show.  I live in a small apt.  How do I address each one separately? Can I just choose a different wake word for the new show?TT

Offline jwlv

Re: dot and show
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 04:45:07 pm »
All Echo devices have spatial perception. Just talk towards to Echo that you want to speak to. That is, physically turn your head and speak towards the direction of your Echo device.

You can also give each one a different wake word.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 07:22:03 pm »
I have a dot and am getting a show.  I live in a small apt.  How do I address each one separately? Can I just choose a different wake word for the new show?TT

I live in a small 2 bedroom apartment too and have four echos each in a different room.   It is all about placement.  just place one in each room, maybe at the far corners and there will not be any problems.  Not to say the wrong one won't answer but it will not happen too often.     

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 09:30:07 pm »
I have Many Echo products... From Dots (2nd gen) to Show Mode Tablets, to Spot and an original first gen Echo.... Lately I have purchased 2 of the 3rd gen Dots and they "hear" better than all the rest and are always hearing what's said in adjacent room to another Dot 2nd gen, and they answer instead... even if you are on the other side of the second gen, the 3rd gen will often pick up the ball and run with it... making the 2nd gen units almost useless in a "shared" environment... they are in open rooms but separate rooms, if that can make any sense...???

Anyway, The placement is a very big part I feel certain. But I also will say - the newer the device, the better it will be at hearing and responding. This is my personal experience...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!