Echo & Alexa Forums

Extremely Weird Behavior - Cable Box in Room

mystik1

Extremely Weird Behavior - Cable Box in Room
« on: December 26, 2019, 01:58:14 am »
I bought my Mom an Echo Studio for one of her Christmas gifts.  I had it shipped directly to her.  She connected it to her PC using a 3.5mm audio cable.  Basically, she wants to use it as her PC speakers and also (separately) be able to use Alexa.  All that works fine, it seems, except a completely different device in the room now does not work when the Echo is turned on.  I know what you're thinking...I thought the same thing.  How/why would a device the Echo Studio is not even connected to have any impact from it?  I don't know.  My mother is not highly technical, but she was very clear about when it did not work and what she did to make it work again.  So, as weird as it seems, somehow, when the Echo Studio is on, the cable box does not work properly.  How this manifests in practice is like this:  she'll be watching TV, with the Echo on, and working.  She says she loves the sound it gives.  But, when she needs to change the channel, it won't work.  She says she has to unplug the Echo, and power cycle the cable box at least once to get it back working.  She said that she noticed one of the lights on the cable box that's normally on is not lit.  This makes me believe the cable box is actually powered off at this point, but will not power back on.  Some of you are probably thinking this is some kind of coincidence or something.  She just got the Echo, and this didn't happen before...it is happening now.  And it is fixed when it is disconnected. I couldn't find out quite as much as I would have liked.  For example, I wanted to know if it would work with the Echo powered on, but just not connected to the PC, but she was too frustrated (or maybe tired) to test...it was late when I got all the info.  Anyway, I figure it's a long shot, but any ideas on this? 

If the Echo were at least connected to the TV, I might be able to make some sense out of it, but it just does not make sense to me with the Echo being connected to a PC, totally separate from the TV.  The only thing those two pieces of equipment share is the cable connection (to the TV for video and to the PC for Internet). 

Thanks much in advance. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 02:02:49 am by mystik1 »

Re: Extremely Weird Behavior - Cable Box in Room
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 02:12:31 am »
need clarification, is the pc connected to the tv?  what tv model?   how close is the cable box to studio?   how is the cable box connected to the tv?  if the pc is connected to the tv, how is it connected?   

one thing, if the pc is connected to the tv and the cable box is connected to the tv, then it would be on different inputs - like pc, hdmi1 and hdmi2.  if this is the case, normally when one is on the other iisn't.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 02:18:04 am by renegade600 »

mystik1

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 02:21:06 am »
need clarification, is the pc connected to the tv?  what tv model?   how close is the cable box to studio?   how is the cable box connected to the tv?  if the pc is connected to the tv, how is it connected?

Thanks much for replying.  I do not know all the answers (I can find out in about 8 hours from now), but I will tell you what I do know.

The PC is not connected to the TV.  The cable box is (I think) within 3-4 feet of the Echo Studio.  I am not 100% on that, though.  It could be further, but I don't believe it is closer than 3 feet.  I believe the cable box is connected via HDMI. 

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 02:30:41 am »

Thanks much for replying.  I do not know all the answers (I can find out in about 8 hours from now), but I will tell you what I do know.

The PC is not connected to the TV.  The cable box is (I think) within 3-4 feet of the Echo Studio.  I am not 100% on that, though.  It could be further, but I don't believe it is closer than 3 feet.  I believe the cable box is connected via HDMI. 

and studio is connected to the pc?   really do not need the other info now that it is cleared up.   are they using separate cables?   explain the cable wire setup.  for example, is the cable wire running to the cable box separate from the cable wire running to the router?   

mystik1

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 02:47:31 am »
and studio is connected to the pc?   really do not need the other info now that it is cleared up.   are they using separate cables?   explain the cable wire setup.  for example, is the cable wire running to the cable box separate from the cable wire running to the router?

Great.  Yes, the Echo is connected to the PC like speakers.

I suspect there is a splitter that sends the cable (coax) to the TV box and modem.  She does not have a router up there.  There is a router downstairs, and there is also a WiFi extender on the other side of the house so that she can use her phone and the Echo through that WiFi.  The extender is newish also.  I got it when I ordered the Echo Studio, but it came a lot sooner (Echo Studio was delayed) because I knew she would need WiFi access up there.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 02:56:42 am »
are you using wifi on the pc too?  also are they (pc, tv, cable box) on the same circuit in the breaker box with a lot of other devices and appliances?

if there is a splitter that sends the wire to the modem and a second wire to the cable box, there is always the chance it has gone bad.   

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 03:08:52 am »
Here's a possible answer, although rather unlikely. If your mother lives in an older house, say more than 50 years old, this could be an issue.

According to Amazon, the Echo Studio's amplifier can output 330 watts. Then I would assume the device itself will probably use around 500 watts of power out of the wall.

A typical 50" LCD TV uses about 150-200 watts.

A typical desktop PC, about 100-300 watts.

A typical 22" LCD monitor, about 50 watts.

A cable box, about 50 watts.

Router, modem, Blu-ray player, UPS, phone chargers, fan, whatever else that's connected at the same location ~ 300 watts.

All these things could add up to more power than a single AC line can supply. The max is around 1200-1500 watts.

When everything is turned on, the power supplied by the AC line could degrade slightly. And if the adapter that powers the cable box is especially sensitive to "dirty power" it could effectively render the cable box unusable until it is restarted with "clean power".

FYI: "Dirty power" is an abnormality in the power quality that is being delivered to a system. These abnormalities can include low power factor, voltage variations, frequency variations, and surges.

P.S. It's winter time. Does your mother have a space heater connected there? A space heater would likely use all 1500 watts when it's set to high.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 03:13:41 am by jwlv »

mystik1

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 03:18:42 am »
are you using wifi on the pc too?  also are they (pc, tv, cable box) on the same circuit in the breaker box with a lot of other devices and appliances?

if there is a splitter that sends the wire to the modem and a second wire to the cable box, there is always the chance it has gone bad.   

No Wifi to the PC.  I'm not sure about the same breaker, but I would think it very likely.  She just moved to this house (renting) a year ago.  There are a few other devices, but no appliances up there.

mystik1

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 03:20:12 am »
Here's a possible answer, although rather unlikely. If your mother lives in an older house, say more than 50 years old, this could be an issue.

According to Amazon, the Echo Studio's amplifier can output 330 watts. Then I would assume the device itself will probably use around 500 watts of power out of the wall.

A typical 50" LCD TV uses about 150-200 watts.

A typical desktop PC, about 100-300 watts.

A typical 22" LCD monitor, about 50 watts.

A cable box, about 50 watts.

Router, modem, Blu-ray player, UPS, phone chargers, fan, whatever else that's connected at the same location ~ 300 watts.

All these things could add up to more power than a single AC line can supply. The max is around 1200-1500 watts.

When everything is turned on, the power supplied by the AC line could degrade slightly. And if the adapter that powers the cable box is especially sensitive to "dirty power" it could effectively render the cable box unusable until it is restarted with "clean power".

FYI: "Dirty power" is an abnormality in the power quality that is being delivered to a system. These abnormalities can include low power factor, voltage variations, frequency variations, and surges.

P.S. It's winter time. Does your mother have a space heater connected there? A space heater would likely use all 1500 watts when it's set to high.

Likely or not, it's the only thing I know of so far that makes any sense.  I know she has a UPS, and I think they do regulation with that.  I do not know if she has it connected to the UPS, though.  I will find that out tomorrow and be sure that she does. 

mystik1

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 03:36:50 am »
I forgot to say....yes, she does have a space heater.  I will definitely see what I can do with this possibility.   Thank you for the input.