Echo & Alexa Forums

Check elderly safaty

rcolpo

Check elderly safaty
« on: December 22, 2019, 04:35:20 am »
Is it possible for Alexa to take the initiative of saying "good morning" / "good night", and call a person of trust if there is no reply? For the elderlies who live alone.

Re: Check elderly safaty
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 01:34:11 pm »
nope, you don't want to scare the elderly to death with a voice popping out of no where without warning.  as far as I know, alexa needs some sort of interaction before it can do anything.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 08:02:46 pm »
You'll probably be better off getting a cheap Wyzcam (about $25) to keep an eye on your elderly parents. It has 2-way audio.

Clareh

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 05:46:47 pm »
No you are not able to do this. Alexa ‘listens’ for a wake word and then starts processing commands. I wanted to do the same for my father and the work round I used is to set up an Alexa routine called ‘Alexa, good morning’. Which contains the following commands:  to say ‘good morning’ back; then to say what the day, date and time are; then to say what the weather is; and finally to send me a notification on my phone to say that dad is awake. 
All I had to do was tell dad to say ‘Alexa, good morning’ first thing each morning and subsequently to check my phone each day for the resulting notification.  He is a creature of habit so I expect a notification before my coffee break!  I think the threat of me ‘dropping in’ if he forgets is enough to make sure he remembers!

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 01:02:46 pm »
I see the option to have it sent to my phone, but is it possible to have it sent to another herons's phone?  I have an elderly friend who has his own account but I want to be able to make sure he is OK.  This sounds like it would be great if it could send a message/email to my phone from his Alexa on his account.