Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Check elderly safaty

Check elderly safaty
« on: December 22, 2019, 04:35:20 am »
Is it possible for Alexa to take the initiative of saying "good morning" / "good night", and call a person of trust if there is no reply? For the elderlies who live alone.

Re: Check elderly safaty
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 01:34:11 pm »
nope, you don't want to scare the elderly to death with a voice popping out of no where without warning.  as far as I know, alexa needs some sort of interaction before it can do anything.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 08:02:46 pm »
You'll probably be better off getting a cheap Wyzcam (about $25) to keep an eye on your elderly parents. It has 2-way audio.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 05:46:47 pm »
No you are not able to do this. Alexa ‘listens’ for a wake word and then starts processing commands. I wanted to do the same for my father and the work round I used is to set up an Alexa routine called ‘Alexa, good morning’. Which contains the following commands:  to say ‘good morning’ back; then to say what the day, date and time are; then to say what the weather is; and finally to send me a notification on my phone to say that dad is awake. 
All I had to do was tell dad to say ‘Alexa, good morning’ first thing each morning and subsequently to check my phone each day for the resulting notification.  He is a creature of habit so I expect a notification before my coffee break!  I think the threat of me ‘dropping in’ if he forgets is enough to make sure he remembers!

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 01:02:46 pm »
I see the option to have it sent to my phone, but is it possible to have it sent to another herons's phone?  I have an elderly friend who has his own account but I want to be able to make sure he is OK.  This sounds like it would be great if it could send a message/email to my phone from his Alexa on his account.