Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Frames

Alexa Frames
« on: December 17, 2019, 05:44:56 am »
Got the invite to order the frames.  Decided to get it and it will be deliver Thursday - another christmas gift for myself.   cannot wait to see if it works as well as they claim.  I have plans for it like hands free when driving and when outside.   

Offline jwlv

Re: Alexa Frames
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 07:26:10 am »
Wow lucky you! I'm jealous. I would love to try the Echo Frames.
Who knows when I'll get the invite for it though. When I signed up for Echo Auto in the past, I didn't get the invite until over a year later.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 05:22:09 am »
got it last night just before going to work.  going to put it to a better test later today.  just got it set up and so far I am very impress with it.  works around the house even though I have other echos so esp works great on it.   no button to press in order to use it while wearing it.   it sounds great and it does not disturb others because they cannot hear it even though you can hear it.   I tried a couple of skills like playing the radio show the shadow and read my emails and it work... I am going to assume it can do just about everything a regular echo can do. 

the only real question I have so far is what is it going to do to the battery on the phone since the alexa is running in the background on the phone.    guess it will take a few days to find that one out. 

at this time I am going to leave it with plain glass since I wear contacts most of the time.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 06:38:37 am »
after over a week of use, I find that they do come in handy.  I can take timers with me and I can take items off the shopping list as I get them from the store shelf in stores with good wifi.   They perfect for when outside in the storage shed.  I tried putting a dot out there but it did not work in the cold or heat. 

when I am home, I do not wear the smartwatch.  believe it or not, the glasses will pickup phone notifications.  it will also do skills so it will let me know when I have email and read them to me. 

the accuracy of the commands is a whole lot better than regular dots.  If wearing the glasses all the time, there would be no need for the other echo devices for most users. 

what I don't like, the glasses themselves, still think they look dorky.  all I need to do is to put tape around the nose piece and look like a stereotypical nerd.   IMO, they are more for the your, professional crowd, not some fat old guy.   

If I wanted to use them all the time, I would need two pairs, one for contacts and one when I take them out.  wish I got the ear buds instead.   I guess they went with glasses because some insurance will cover the cost of the glass and might even cover the frame.  good selling point. 

If I had to describe the music, it is a bit better than the original dot but not by much. 

I also wish the battery was better.   If not use it for music, audiobooks or podcasts, then it will last just about all day - otherwise it will only last a couple of hours.   the charger cable has a magnetic connection to the glasses without a port so a couple of times it did not charge properly.  good thing it charges fast. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 07:00:01 am by renegade600 »

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 04:52:16 pm »
I got the echo buds the day it came out. Returned it two days later. The tap and tap & hold command just didn't work. In other forums I read a lot of other people had the same problem. And they were just uncomfortable to me. I think the echo frames would suit me better.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 12:25:41 am »
I got the echo buds the day it came out. Returned it two days later. The tap and tap & hold command just didn't work. In other forums I read a lot of other people had the same problem. And they were just uncomfortable to me. I think the echo frames would suit me better.

maybe I will stick with the frames after all :-)  I was considering getting the buds with my tax refund.  use them only when wearing glasses.   Look like the buds still needs work.  was just on the amazonforums and saw the problems they were having. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 05:43:38 pm »
Oh yes! Got my invitation today. Just placed my order and it will be here Friday. :)

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 04:26:21 pm »
bout time - right  :-)   I think you will be happy with them.  I know I am.  they are not perfect but I don't leave the house without them.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 05:14:18 pm »
Renegade, did you ever get prescription lenses fitted for your Echo Frames? If so, where did you get it done?

I went to Costco the other day and their optical department said that they can fit lenses in most frames. The price would be the regular price of lenses + a $25 fee. And it takes about 2 weeks.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 04:20:05 am »
I decided against prescription lenses.  I wear contacts all the time so prescription would limit usage.   I got the buds for when I am wearing my glasses. 

If you decided to go prescription, you may need an extra charging cable or two.  I got an extra charging cable and keep it at work.   they were not lying about the battery.  when I am listening to the old time radio skills, the battery will only last a couple of yours. 

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 04:34:01 am »
Oh yes! Got my invitation today. Just placed my order and it will be here Friday. :)

well, did you get them?  if so, what do you think?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 05:59:48 pm »
Yep. Got them on Friday. I really like it. I ran all over town yesterday looking for a store that can put prescription lenses in it. I went to 4 stores and they all say they can't do it.

I talked to Amazon about that and they said I have 60 days to return it if I can't find a place to fit lenses for it.

I really do like it but if I can't wear it with my prescription lenses, it's useless to me.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 04:16:50 am »
you mean the stores would not do it, not even with the card that came with the glasses???    anyway, there places online where you can order the lenses and put them in yourself.   

Offline jwlv

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 04:53:41 am »
Yea, the stores all say that can't do it. Costco optical initially said they could, but then said no after they looked at the frames. I found an online store (lensesrx.com) that can make lenses pre-measured to fit the Echo Frames for $45 + shipping. I don't have to send my Echo Frames to them. I just placed my order for my prescription lenses. I chose standard service so it'll probably take 2 or 3 weeks to receive it.

BTW, this is the page where I ordered my lenses for my Echo Frames: https://lensesrx.com/53278-prescription-lenses-for-amazon-echo-frames-eye-glasses/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 05:19:04 am by jwlv »

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 05:49:55 pm »
I wonder if the no they can't do it is the same no you can't use it when trying to use samsung pay on a non-nfc terminal just before proving how wrong they are.   the instructions that came with the frames seemed clear enough.