Echo & Alexa Forums

Taking Echo Show from US to Germany

alexsj

Taking Echo Show from US to Germany
« on: December 09, 2019, 04:35:59 pm »
Hi,

I'd like give my elderly mom in Germany an Echo Show as a picture frame and for some voice commands. I'd like to purchase it here in the US and set it up with German software before I bring it over. I'll use a travel adaptor plug for the power cable.

Any issues with this? Is the Echo Show hardware limited to a given region, or can I initialize a US device for Germany? Can I run German software while here in the US, or are there IP address limitations? I don't want to access music or movies, just set up the device to be ready.

Thanks,
Alex

Offline jwlv

Re: Taking Echo Show from US to Germany
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 06:11:20 pm »
You can take the Echo Show device anywhere, but you should register it using an Amazon account from the region/country that you plan to use it. For Germany, you would need to have an account at Amazon.de. But if you decide to use a US Amazon account, the time & date, weather, and other location based information will be wrong.

Angua67

Re: Taking Echo Show from US to Germany
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 11:29:48 pm »
Not sure if this is helpful, but I live in the US and my mom and sisters live in the UK. I have a Amazon UK account that I use to send them gifts etc. The shipping addresses on the account are theirs and the billing account is my US address. If anything needs to be returned or replaced, it's not an issue. If your mom has issues with the Echo Show down the road, it's probably going to have to come back to the US to be replaced?

I sent my mom an Echo Dot. It came all prepped for Europe, settings, correct plug etc - and a British accent, lol. You might be doing yourself a future favor if you order from Amazon.de.
Having said that, I see the appeal of setting it all up before you send it to her, I spent 1.5 hours on the phone talking my 90 yr old mom through setting up the Echo Dot using her Kindle Fire. Like you, I had limited expectations for how she would use it...listen to books/music. Now I am hooked and want to try and set her up for calls...daunting task, but hopefully worth the efforts!

Good luck! :)