Alexa, Echo Dot, FireTV and Samsung TV

Re: Alexa, Echo Dot, FireTV and Samsung TV
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 07:25:03 pm »
  I use the remote to power off though.

you can always use a smart plug so you can power off

njonesnm

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 02:45:41 pm »
I had the same trouble with my Samsung TV. It wouldn't turn off or on. I found the "wake on lan" setting in the TV and turned it on, but it still did not work.

I had my TV connected to the router with a Ethernet cable. I read in the smartthings forum to try using wifi instead of being connected with the cable. That worked. I can now turn my TV on and off with voice control. With HDMI-CEC I can use either Fire TV or the Samsung TV to turn it on: "Alexa, go home on the Fire TV" of "Alexa, Turn On TV". Off is the command "Alexa, Turn off TV"

The only issue I have now is the volume control. I use the HDMI-ARC port to connect to a YAS-108 sound bar and Alexa can't control the volume. The command "Alexa, Turn the volume up on TV" gets me the response "OK" but nothing happens. If I use the TV's built-in speakers it works but not with the HDMI-ARC port.

Long post .... but I thought that might help.

Noel..

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 10:34:10 am »
you just need an IR blaster that has an Alexa skill. Try googling for Broadlink RM Pro or RM Mini 3. These are quite cheap on Aliexpress.com
Echo Dot @ SG

Ray1

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 04:04:02 pm »

[/quote]

in that case I need to take the smartplugs off on all of my tvs since they are not supposed to work.   wow, I could have sworn they have been working for years. 

for the tv to work with smartplugs, once you add the smartplug, you still have to turn the tv on manually the first time.  from there you should be able to turn the tv on/off with a smart plug
[/quote]

Indeed a smart plug works for me. I had not tried it thinking that standby will make it inoperable. Wrong. Works great, like you say, turn it on manually the first time.
Thanks, You're a genius.

jvk of md

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 08:25:28 am »
I had the same trouble with my Samsung TV. It wouldn't turn off or on. I found the "wake on lan" setting in the TV and turned it on, but it still did not work.

I had my TV connected to the router with a Ethernet cable. I read in the smartthings forum to try using wifi instead of being connected with the cable. That worked. I can now turn my TV on and off with voice control. With HDMI-CEC I can use either Fire TV or the Samsung TV to turn it on: "Alexa, go home on the Fire TV" of "Alexa, Turn On TV". Off is the command "Alexa, Turn off TV"

The only issue I have now is the volume control. I use the HDMI-ARC port to connect to a YAS-108 sound bar and Alexa can't control the volume. The command "Alexa, Turn the volume up on TV" gets me the response "OK" but nothing happens. If I use the TV's built-in speakers it works but not with the HDMI-ARC port.

Long post .... but I thought that might help.

Noel..

I assume your tv remote can control the volume on your sound bar??  If not then that would require the brand to be added as another control.  I found it difficult to get alexa to control volume simply because she just changes the volume on the echo device and not the tv 

barthelemy

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 10:18:50 am »
Hi all,

Thanks for all your help, I can confirm that it is working with a TP link Kasa smart plug  ;)