Echo & Alexa Forums

Connect Echo Alexa to turn on TV XBR65X850F Smart TV 4 HBR

Tdraym

Connect Echo Alexa to turn on TV XBR65X850F Smart TV 4 HBR
« on: December 08, 2019, 03:08:06 pm »
      I Have set up Alexa app on TV, and phone, each time TV is turned on Alexa Says "connected to tv"  if I tell alexa to change channel, raise or lower volume Alexa says" can't connect to TV"
Signed in to google account, same sign in, to Amazon acct. Tech support tells me Echo, Alexa is registered to another Email address, So I go to TV and sign in to google acct. with that Email , same on Amazon and iPhone Alexa app, I try to Have Alexa turn on Sony Smart TV and Alexa replies " can not connect to TV". TV has updated software, phone app has tv linked to Echo,  Sony android TV skill, Smart home app. skill. Alexa tells me to go to Amazon Alexa app. if I need more help but I don't find any fixes there. So is there anywhere I can get detailed instructions on how to fix this, please advise me where because tech support chat line hasn't helped, and have searched internet quite a bit  I need to find a solution  please help

Offline jwlv

Re: Connect Echo Alexa to turn on TV XBR65X850F Smart TV 4 HBR
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 05:31:37 pm »
Sounds like you've connected your Echo device to the TV via Bluetooth. That doesn't control the TV like turning it on or changing channels. That only sends audio from your Echo to your TV. Similarly, if you were to connect any Bluetooth speaker to your Echo, anytime you turn on the Bluetooth speaker Alexa will say, "Connected to xxxx."

Does Sony have an Alexa skill that works with your TV? If not, then you're out of luck. There needs to be a skill for it to work. The alternative is to buy something like a Logitech Harmony that can send IR signals to any device, such as a TV, to turn it on/off/change channels/etc.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 05:36:03 pm by jwlv »

Tdraym

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 09:34:48 am »
 The TV came with " Amazon Alexa control your TV" app preinstalled on it , Sony Android TV app is also on my cell phone in Alexa app and both are enabled there is also Smart home app. enabled on Alexa app. I have 3 Echo's all tied to the Wi-Fi network, How do I disconnect the Echo from Bluetooth and set up just one Echo to control the TV, The TV is on Alexa app. on cell phone named TV, tried to set up from TV and phone at same time from app steps, No luck, very upset just looking for detailed instructions    Please Advise  thanks for your time.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 06:21:04 pm »
Regardless of what came with your TV, whether it says it's Alexa enabled or otherwise, you still need to use an Alexa Skill. Every skill for every device will be different.

But in general, to start, go to the Alexa app on your smartphone. Tap the menu icon (the three bars at the top/left) and then tap Skills & Games on the menu. Search for the Sony Skill. Some skills are made specifically for a device, so it is possible that Sony could have multiple skills listed. Get the one that's appropriate for your TV. After you enable the skill, you will need to login to your Sony account via that skill, and then the Alexa App will ask for your permission to link Alexa with your Sony account.

The Sony Android app does not have anything to do with the Alexa skill or being able to control your TV by voice. The Sony Android app is for controlling your TV using the Sony app. As I described in the previous paragraph, once you give Alexa permission to link your Sony account, it gives Alexa the ability to control to your TV.