Echo & Alexa Forums

Controlling one Dot with another Dot

MarkW

Controlling one Dot with another Dot
« on: November 23, 2019, 01:05:02 am »
If this has been discussed sorry, searched and didn't find anything.

I have several Echo Dots in my house and want to know if I can control one with another. For example I have one connected to a receiver (via the 3.5mm audio) which feeds speakers through out the house. This Dot is named Rack. Can I tell say the Living Room Dot to tell the Rack Dot to play music or change what it's playing? Want to be able to change what it is playing or start it playing something from another room or floor in the house.

Offline jwlv

Re: Controlling one Dot with another Dot
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 01:26:54 am »
Yes, there is a way. I don't use it much so I'm not 100% certain on the phrase that is required. But it goes something like this: "Alexa, play Frank Sinatra on Rack." You can also set the volume or stop playing the same say. "Alexa, set volume 10 on Rack." or "Alexa, stop playing on Rack."

MarkW

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 11:45:19 pm »
jwlv,

Thank you for the response. I will have to give it a try. Was really hoping it would would work.

Thanks,
Mark

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 07:42:32 am »
I have one hooked to my stereo. I named it "the stereo". I just tell any dot to "play pink floyd on the stereo". To set the volume I say "Alexa, set the volume on the stereo to 5". To pause say: alexa, pause music on the stereo".