Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot keeps rebooting

FF214

Echo Dot keeps rebooting
« on: October 22, 2019, 01:52:24 pm »
When unplugged and plugged back in my echo dot begins to have a blue ring like it is about to start, but then the blue ring goes out, the blue ring starts up and never says “hello”. I’ve tried to push the more and volume down, but the cycle mentioned earlier continues. Is there anything I do to fix my second gen echo dot or is it completely broke?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Offline jwlv

Re: Echo Dot keeps rebooting
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 07:58:21 pm »
What you describe is a common occurrence when the USB power adapter is bad (or if you are using an insufficient USB power adapter). The one that Amazon provides with the Echo Dot is rated at 5 volts 1.8 Amps. Most USB power adapters for cell phones are somewhere between 0.5 Amps - 1.0 Amps which is not enough to power the Echo Dot.

This is the one that you should be using:
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Official-Charger-Adapter-eReaders/dp/B01I0IGFKC/

dbernier

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 01:30:44 pm »
I am having a problem with several of my echos rebooting. They are outside and when it is below 25 degrees out, they continuously reboot.
I did some searching on google and did not see anyone else talking about this, so I figured I would be the first.
I wonder if there is any workaround, such as changing the power adapter to something better. (shrug)

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 03:04:09 pm »
Not going to happen.  Specs show 32F as the lower limit.   You will need to provide some sort of heat when it gets too cold.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 04:26:12 pm »
I had a temperature related issue with my Echo Dot last summer. It was with heat. I have an Echo Dot in the car that's connected to my car's hot spot. During the day, if I parked outdoors, the temperature in the car could exceed 120F. When that happens, the Echo Dot will not work. It would look like it's booting up and right before it finishes, it restarts the cycle again. It does this continuously. When the temperature cools down a bit, then it works as usual. I talked to Amazon about this and they basically said that the Dot must be used within the temperature specs and offered no other solutions. They were designed to be used indoors. They were never meant to be used under extreme temperatures.