Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa on a Smartwatch

w8lifter

Alexa on a Smartwatch
« on: April 19, 2016, 02:58:22 pm »
I just read an article on ZDNet that says there is an Indiegogo campaign to create a smartwatch integrated with Amazon Alexa.  It is called CoWatch and early backers can reserve the watch for $159 plus $10 shipping.

Re: Alexa on a Smartwatch
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 04:18:34 am »
Unless I overlooked it, it does not say if you have to press a button or use a wakeup word.

w8lifter

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 07:55:38 am »
The Indiegogo page on the CoWatch had the following video.  It looks like you have to open the Alexa app on the watch, it  then shows the user talking to the watch addressing it as Alexa, but I don't know if just opening the app gets Alexa's attention or you have to use her name. 
https://youtu.be/Vf2S4-2-H1g

DParker

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 11:05:32 am »
If the app always ran in the background and all you had to do was tap a widget or something then that might be handy.  But having to open an app on a mobile device to use the Alexa service would kill its usefulness to me.  There's pretty much nothing I could do that way that I can't already do by opening a function-specific app and pressing a button or two. 

isolod

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 08:57:41 pm »
These started shipping, I ordered one but I am part of the second shipment. Has anyone received theirs yet and if so, are you happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

w8lifter

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 04:50:23 pm »
I ordered one and was supposed to be in the first shipment, but since I wanted a silver one and they ran out, so I got bumped to the second shipment.  I'm still waiting for mine like you.

isolod

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 05:55:49 pm »
Just received mine yesterday. The paperwork to setup the watch was minimal. Was able to get it working as well as Alexa. It needs a lot of work. Notification issues. Need to tether Bluetooth from phone when no Wi-Fi for the watch to have access. Luckily it seems the developers are sending out updates when they can. Just realize it is a beta product with potential. Although, it is very cool I can control my nest and wemo devices from my watch through Alexa.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 05:58:07 pm by isolod »

vegasguy

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 07:23:59 pm »
Can you make a demo video for us? I'd love to see it in action in the real world and not the manufacturer's promo video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isolod

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 10:33:09 pm »
I can not. I returned it for another due to multiple stuck pixels on the screen. Started with one, then screen went crazy with them. I won't be getting my second one till they start shipping out the second batch in August.

bubbacable

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 02:16:45 pm »
I've been keeping an eye out for an alexa/GHome enabled wearable.
The Pebble Core and Pebble Time 2. I like to CoWatch too.

As a UK-ite, I'm a little wary undesirable experiences like that issue with IFTTT name resolution issue.
So I'd need assurances first.