Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Show 5: How to get it to show the clock face?

thoots

Echo Show 5: How to get it to show the clock face?
« on: September 27, 2019, 10:59:30 pm »
Folks,

This is so frustrating that I could scream.  In fact, I have been doing plenty of that.  This is so very simple:

I bought this thing to be A CLOCK.  With a little display of the current outside temperature.

Is that too much to ask?

Well, ever since I bought it, it showed the clock most of the time, and every now and then it would show the next few hours of the weather.  Then it would switch back to showing the clock.

But now, it absolutely WILL NOT show the clock.  It just shows the next few hours of the weather. That's the problem -- how on Earth can I get it to simply show the clock?

Yes, I have asked the dang thing over and over and over again to "show the clock," and then it reverts back to the weather.  I have worked through the settings, a dozen times, I have worked through the Alexa app on my phone, and there is just nowhere on Earth to tell the thing to "show the clock" all the time.  I've had this for a month or two, and I'm about ready to toss it into the garbage.

So, YES, I have unplugged it and tried to reset it.  YES, I have updated the software.  Still, it sits there showing the weather, instead of the clock.  YES, it shows the time up in the upper lefthand corner, but I want this to be a CLOCK, instead of reporting some relatively useless snippets of the current weather.

Is there anything I can do to turn this into a CLOCK, other than tossing it into the garbage, and going out and purchasing a clock?

Thanks for your help, and please forgive me my frustration.

thoots

bitstopjoe

Re: Echo Show 5: How to get it to show the clock face?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 04:37:11 am »
 The same thing has started happening on my 2 Spots Friday night. Probably a glitch on their server or a bad update they snuck in.
 Since it is the weekend it may take a few days for them to fix or maybe we will get lucky and it will be fixed ASAP.

Joe

UPDATE: Not sure if you have this setting, but I just found out if I put my Spot in Night-Time Mode, the clock face shows. So a workaround till they fix it. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:07:23 am by bitstopjoe »

Hammy6

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 01:26:00 pm »
Hi. I woke up to the same problem this morning with both my Spot and my new Show. Both fine until this morning. Now won’t stay on clock just keep getting Tips. Contacted Smazon Help chat. Was on line with them for 3 hours. Unable to fix. I asked them several times if they had made changes on their server but adamant they had not. Went through usual menu, reboot, reset stuff all to no avail. Two different devices both developing the identical issue at exactly the same time and Amazon state not their fault. Hmmmm. Not happy.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 02:18:33 pm by Hammy6 »

bitstopjoe

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 03:16:41 pm »
 As I mentioned put them in NIGHT MODE. The clock comes right back.
 I have had it working fine since this morning that way. Give it a try.
 On the Spot just go to settings and click on the quarter moon icon, that's it.

Joe
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 03:20:36 pm by bitstopjoe »

Hammy6

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 05:46:42 am »
Thank you, that fix has worked On both my Spot and my Show. I now just have clock on screen and not the incredibly annoying scrolling TIPs.
You would think the number of complaints I have seen about the scrolling that Amazon would get the hint and remove it. Totally spoils an otherwise amazing product.

bitstopjoe

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 07:18:17 am »
 Very welcome. I am sure it is just a glitch on their end, but at least this is a workaround until they fix it.
 The only reason I thought of it is that at a certain time the Spot near my bed goes into night mode with a softer color on the screen and that worked just fine. So the next morning I put it manually in night mode and it worked.
 Glad it helped you out and possibly others who come here looking for help with the same problem.
 One would think Amazon would have this workaround as I am surer we are not alone with this problem.

Joe

Jerrym74

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 02:57:46 pm »
This doesn't seem to work on the Echo Show 5. I went to settings and clicked on "Home & Clock", turned on "Night Mode" and still no large clock face.

bitstopjoe

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 03:08:26 pm »
 Sorry it didnt work for you. I dont have a Show 5 so I could not test it on it. On the Spot no need to go into the Home & Clock section as it is in the main menu on settings. After you did night mode, did you give it a few to go back to the full clock? Takes a few seconds on my Spot.
 Hopefully, Amazon will get it going after the weekend.

Joe

Jerrym74

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 03:24:24 pm »
I hope they do something about it. I've only had it for a week and I swear the clock was fine for the first few days.  :(

bitstopjoe

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 04:27:20 pm »
You are not crazy, the clock was fine until late Friday afternoon, then it went bonkers ( a technical term, ha).
 Since it was late Friday and now the weekend, I can only surmise that is why it is still not fixed. Hopefully, Monday things will get noticed and fixed. PRETTY sure it is on their server. We shall see. Shame my workaround didnt help you.
 Hang in there

Joe

thoots

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 11:17:46 am »
Thanks everyone for your help and support.  And confirming that I am not nuts, or alone in my frustration.   ;D

I'm now attempting "Night Mode."  Though, just turning it on, didn't help a bit.  So, I have changed the "scheduling," which had the default setting of turning "off" at 4:00 AM.  I changed it so that it would turn "on" at 4:00 AM.

And, well, as I have been sitting here typing this, it went immediately from the clock to the weather display, so that's not a change at all.  Bummer.

Now unplugging to reboot for about the thousandth time.

thoots

Coderunner

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 03:25:42 pm »
The seems to be an issue on their end for sure. ALL of my Echo Shows and the 2 new Show 5's at 2 different locations suddenly have the same issue.

Jerrym74

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 04:23:58 pm »
My Show 5 seems to be working correctly again as of 2:10pm central time today. After I ask Alexa to turn on a light it returns to the home screen with a small clock in the upper left hand corner, cycles one "Ask Alexa" things to try, then goes to the large clock and stays there.

bitstopjoe

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 04:34:39 pm »
I knew once the weekend was over they would fix THEIR problem. At first, it still wasnt fixed for me.  So I pulled the power cord, counted to 10, and when it booted up all is well.
 So if anyone still has the problem, unplug, count to 10, and plug her back in.

Joe

Hammy6

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 04:34:52 am »
Hi all, same here. My Spot yesterday and my Show just now have automatically prompted  for the set up routine which I have done and they are both now fine.