Echo & Alexa Forums

turn on device if command received on specific echo

JCDinPGH

turn on device if command received on specific echo
« on: September 24, 2019, 01:11:12 am »
I have an echo device (various models) in almost every room. The one in my bathroom is physically connected to speakers via the headphone jack. Because it is used infrequently, I keep the speakers powered off.
Is there a way to have a command run if this echo hears my wakeup word? In other words, if the bathroom echo hears "Alexa", I would like it to power on the bathroom speakers, and hopefully turn them after after a set period. Setting up a remote device isn't a problem. Getting the bathroom echo when it is the echo device to hear the wakeup word, to run a command, like "power on bathroom speakers" is the big issue.

Re: turn on device if command received on specific echo
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 04:43:25 am »
exactly what speakers do you have in the bathroom?   It really depends on the speakers features as to what you can do with them.  unless the speaker has a sleep mode, then you cannot do what you want.  you might be able to use a smart plug and plug the speakers into it

Offline kenf

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 08:55:44 am »
If you make a group called bathroom and put the Echo in that room into the group and then put a smart outlet in that same group and tag it as a light, then when you walk into the room and say "Alexa, turn on the light" it will.

If you also had an actual light in that room, it may even make sense :)

To better get the effect you want, I'd use my SmartThings and a z-wave light switch and motion sensor and smart outlet.
Then do a routine so when there's motion in the room, turn on the light if its dark and turn on outlet.  keep both on for X minutes after motion stops.  Plug the speakers into the smart outlet obviously.

JCDinPGH

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 09:05:40 am »
The speakers in the bathroom are connected via the headphone jack. They are powered speakers as they have a subwoofer. They are basically PC speakers.

exactly what speakers do you have in the bathroom?   It really depends on the speakers features as to what you can do with them.  unless the speaker has a sleep mode, then you cannot do what you want.  you might be able to use a smart plug and plug the speakers into it

JCDinPGH

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 09:11:59 am »
I was hoping to avoid the motion detection option. Currently I have an ISY994i and several modules for it so I could just use one of those the same way as a z-wave. I was just hoping to have that specific echo turn on the speakers if heard any command. There are other people who will also be using it and I can guarantee no matter what routine I setup to power on the bathroom speakers, they will not remember it the phrase.

If you make a group called bathroom and put the Echo in that room into the group and then put a smart outlet in that same group and tag it as a light, then when you walk into the room and say "Alexa, turn on the light" it will.

If you also had an actual light in that room, it may even make sense :)

To better get the effect you want, I'd use my SmartThings and a z-wave light switch and motion sensor and smart outlet.
Then do a routine so when there's motion in the room, turn on the light if its dark and turn on outlet.  keep both on for X minutes after motion stops.  Plug the speakers into the smart outlet obviously.

Offline kenf

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 11:01:12 am »
in my experience, the Alexa is good for giving commands, but not for behaviors without being told.

It seems it's recently gotten some geofencing to know when you are home (helpful with Echo Auto).  I haven't dug into that yet, but I'd be surprised if it knew if it was daytime or not, so expect that you'll get home for lunch and the lights will turn on.

Echo Routines are very limited and have little if any IFTTT syntax.

The built-in behavior for an Echo in a Group to turn on all lights when you say "Turn on the light" is about as close as it gets to knowing what room you are in.

Hence, why you'd likely need a smart hub, like Wink or SmartThings with a more robost automation toolbox.