Echo & Alexa Forums

Control Alex from Terminal?

Rob Parkinson

Control Alex from Terminal?
« on: September 21, 2019, 09:23:10 am »
Hello.

Im using an Alexa on stage for a theater production and i would love to be able to trigger sounds and LED ring looks remotely form my MAC. I want to be able to  make alexa look like it is receiving a call without saying anything to it or connecting it to a phone. i was hoping  could send alexa a terminal command but i don't seem to be able to find any information on doing that sort of thing.

Re: Control Alex from Terminal?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 03:24:56 pm »
Hello.

Im using an Alexa on stage for a theater production and i would love to be able to trigger sounds and LED ring looks remotely form my MAC. I want to be able to  make alexa look like it is receiving a call without saying anything to it or connecting it to a phone. i was hoping  could send alexa a terminal command but i don't seem to be able to find any information on doing that sort of thing.

I don't think you can, not without actually using it.  one thing though, I don't think alexa is ready for live performances.  too many idiots who would try to use it from the audience or some noise could trigger it in the middle of the performance

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 02:51:53 pm »
If your turning on/off lights you dont need Alexa depending on the manufacturer.of the smart light.
You may be able to just send the command to the ip address of the light. As far as getting an echo or dot device to react to a terminal command it cant currently be done that I know of either
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 03:09:14 pm by tuicemen »

Offline kenf

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 09:00:12 am »
I think for purposes of a play, you're better off faking it from a control booth