Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Send message to another dot

Send message to another dot
« on: August 12, 2019, 08:06:28 am »
I'm trying to find out how you can message (voice or typewritten) a particular dot in my home
I know you can 'drop in' on another dot - or send an announcement to all 'dots' throughout the house but I would like to be able to send a message to just one dot.

I'm stumped because I've come across something I just can't figure out.  I have 3 dots in the house called 'Dad', 'daughter' and 'downstairs' - all have been named that way.  If I ask Alexa to message any of those 3 devices by name its says sorry I don't have that contact which makes sense as I don't have those as contacts in my app.
I have a Sonos One downstairs which I have named the device as 'Dining Room' and linked to the Alexa app so I can ask it to 'play radio on Dining Room' and sonos plays instead of the dot via voice command.

Now here's the part I'm stumped with - If I ask Alexa to 'message dining room' it sends a message and plays on my dot called 'downstairs'.  How is that happening?