Echo & Alexa Forums

Sound effects help

shaftdx

Sound effects help
« on: August 08, 2019, 06:51:27 am »
Ok guys I need some help here,

Long story short I installed an Echo Dot at my job to make things easier for the office (Works great) but now I want to have some fun too!   

Recently my boss has taken to sleeping in the office over night.   I want to create a routine that at say 2am alexa will play a door slamming sound or a cat screeching type thing and then be quite!    something short and sweet so he thinks to himself "Did that just happen?   

I can't find or know how to add these sound effects to the skills or what ever I need to do to do this.   any help would be apprechated
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:12:41 am by shaftdx »

Offline jwlv

Re: Sound effects help
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 02:24:36 pm »
Here's how I would do it.
I'd set up a routine that triggers at a specific time, say 2:00AM.
Step 1 of the routine: set the volume to 10
Step 2: play Halloween sound effects. (it's available on Prime Music for free). This particular sound is only about 30 seconds long. You should search for any other music/sounds that's available to you. Just ask Alexa to play xxxxxx to see if you like it.
Step 3: set the volume back to 5 (or whatever your normal volume is)

That's about it!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 02:26:32 pm by jwlv »

shaftdx

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 12:10:29 pm »
Here's how I would do it.
I'd set up a routine that triggers at a specific time, say 2:00AM.
Step 1 of the routine: set the volume to 10
Step 2: play Halloween sound effects. (it's available on Prime Music for free). This particular sound is only about 30 seconds long. You should search for any other music/sounds that's available to you. Just ask Alexa to play xxxxxx to see if you like it.
Step 3: set the volume back to 5 (or whatever your normal volume is)

That's about it!

Yeah that is exactly how I am planning on doing it,  I just have it in my head like a door slamming or something like that.  Something he could actually hear in the office or something to freak him out.   I am just worried that a Halloween type sound would be too distinctive and he would know it is a joke or a made up thing.   my goal is to have him get up and look around trying to find the door or whatever it is.   lol

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 04:04:30 pm »
2 years ago, it would have been easier because Amazon allowed users to have their own music library that they can upload themselves. Amazon removed it so it's no longer an option. If it was still available, you could just upload a mp3 file with a quick door slam sound and have Alexa play the sound in the routine. There are some other ways for Alexa to play from your own music library such as Plex server. I'm not familiar with Plex or other alternative sources. I'm sure someone else can chime in on that.

shaftdx

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 04:20:11 pm »
2 years ago, it would have been easier because Amazon allowed users to have their own music library that they can upload themselves. Amazon removed it so it's no longer an option. If it was still available, you could just upload a mp3 file with a quick door slam sound and have Alexa play the sound in the routine. There are some other ways for Alexa to play from your own music library such as Plex server. I'm not familiar with Plex or other alternative sources. I'm sure someone else can chime in on that.

I will most definitely have to look into this.  I actually do have Plex (and I love it)  so I will have to run some experiments with that.  thank you!