Echo & Alexa Forums

Attention Music Lovers

studlygoorite

Attention Music Lovers
« on: August 07, 2019, 11:11:50 pm »
If you are like me and have a Prime membership and like playing music through your Alexa Device but don't like Prime Music or Prime Music Unlimited I just came across a Skill that I have wanted for years. The My Media Skill lets you ask Alexa to play any of your own songs from your computer though your Echo devices. You can ask My Media to play playlists  that you create or just pick a song or artist. Just what I was looking for and it is working well, had some issues with a song but found I had it named incorrectly on my PC. As for Prime Music Unlimited, I found that they had every different remake of a song except the original in many of my cases. Just an FYI for anyone interested.

fstbusa

Re: Attention Music Lovers
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 08:27:27 am »
What app do you have to run on your computer?

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 07:30:10 pm »
Nice that you found My Media; some members here have been using it for a while and like it.

As for me, I use the very popular PLEX MEDIA SERVER which is installed on my WD My Cloud NAS device where my music is stored.  I can also team Plex and Alexa together for more capabilities by adding the Alexa skill for Plex to continuously RANDOMLY play my music on any Alexa device OR on my iPhone using the button on the alexa app. (It also displays track info on phone's screen.)  I can also use bluetooth speaker or headphones, to listen to phone's music that is being played.  Plex also  enables remote access/playback using Alexa on wi-fi OR via cell plan data!  This set up can do it all.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:50:04 pm by mike27oct »

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 10:18:00 am »
I have been using my media for a while now.  it was simple to setup and use. 

AlanH

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 11:22:23 am »

So My Media will index and play everything in my iTunes library, including existing playlists?

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 04:01:59 pm »

So My Media will index and play everything in my iTunes library, including existing playlists?

should play your music but doubt it will use existing playlists.  I mainly use it to read audiobooks and old radio shows from my private collection.