Echo & Alexa Forums

Routine to turn fan on and then off after 20 minutes

Clay L

Routine to turn fan on and then off after 20 minutes
« on: August 16, 2019, 04:31:36 pm »
I can not construct a routine that will turn a fan on and after a 20 wait turn it off using a smart socket. When I add the actions to turn it on, wait 20 minutes and then turn it off, the turn on and off actions show and the wait after both. When activated the fan turns on and stays on.

Re: Routine to turn fan on and then off after 20 minutes
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 08:28:38 pm »
I can not construct a routine that will turn a fan on and after a 20 wait turn it off using a smart socket. When I add the actions to turn it on, wait 20 minutes and then turn it off, the turn on and off actions show and the wait after both. When activated the fan turns on and stays on.

I have a YONOMI account. Init you can Mae some reasonably complex routines, that work with Alexa to get things done. Might look into that to control things... It also works directly with my Harmony hub to get my entertainment stuff working as desired. Completely invisible app once you get it set up. but you can use it directly you wish as well.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Re: Routine to turn fan on and then off after 20 minutes
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 11:13:28 am »

I have a lot of routines set up to do similar things.  Initially I ran into the same type of problems - here is how I solved them.  When you set up the smart plug or switch, don't use the name of the item (i.e. kitchen fan), instead, name the switch or plug 'K F' (for Kitchen Fan).  Create your routine in the Alexa app, and use the phrase 'Turn on the kitchen fan'. Add your actions - Turn on the K F, turn off the K F, and the wait 20 minutes. Also add an action for Alexa to respond 'Sure, I'll turn it off in 20 minutes'.  Then reorder the actions in the routine (long press and drag) to what you want.  Save it and it should work like a charm.  Why the response of Sure, I'll turn it off in 20 minutes?  If you have a custom response you'll ensure Alexa is running your routine - without it you'll just get an 'Okay' which may be just turning on your plug/switch.

Hope this helps, I have dozens of routines like this and they all work great every time.