Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot: Gen 2 vs Gen 3 Line-In Port - Any Sound Quality Difference?

DerbyDad03

Greetings from a new member.

I know that the sound quality of a Gen 3 as a speaker is much better than the sound quality of the Gen 2.

My question relates to the Line-In port. If an external speaker system (e.g. surround sound system or amplifier) is used 100% of the time, is there any reason to upgrade from a Gen 2 to a Gen 3?  Other than looks, of course.  ;)

(I'm also aware of the change in the microphone configuration, but for the purposes of this question, I'll ignore that for now.)

Thanks!

I just got an additional Dot gen 3 and I think the sounds I much better than the second gen unit. It weighs a lot more as well, indicating better ability to produce bass, which also indicates a slightly better amplifier section in it... Definitely a better audio quality, but definitely NOT audiophile stuff...LOL
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

DerbyDad03

I just got an additional Dot gen 3 and I think the sounds I much better than the second gen unit. It weighs a lot more as well, indicating better ability to produce bass, which also indicates a slightly better amplifier section in it... Definitely a better audio quality, but definitely NOT audiophile stuff...LOL

Thanks for your response, but...

I can't tell if you are answering my specific question or not. I'm not asking about the sound quality of the device's internal speakers, I'm asking about the sound quality of the audio signal at the port where you can plug in an external speaker.

The weight of the unit would have no impact on that signal, so the fact that you brought it up makes me wonder if you are referring to the sound quality of internal speakers only.

Please clarify.

Offline jwlv

Although I have no direct evidence, I would think that all Echo devices have the same audio signal at the line-out port.

Thanks for your response, but...

I can't tell if you are answering my specific question or not. I'm not asking about the sound quality of the device's internal speakers, I'm asking about the sound quality of the audio signal at the port where you can plug in an external speaker.

The weight of the unit would have no impact on that signal, so the fact that you brought it up makes me wonder if you are referring to the sound quality of internal speakers only.

Please clarify.

Yes... My input was directed toward the internal speaker in the new dot. Sorry... I was responding to the original thought that I misread as the internal sound quality being poorer than the original... My mistake. I read it and responded and never looked back until your recent response to mine. I completely apologize... try and ignore me... I just started a new job recently and am working an odd shift and it's messed up my brain in so many ways...LOL one of them is detail losses, most especially when reading online.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

mike27oct

I agree with jwlv that line-out is essentially the same audio out chip in all three dot generations.  not much to do to improve the audio chips today.  I have had a gen 1 plugged in my stereo since I got it, but recently put a gen 2 in its place to check something.  The gen 2 line out sounded the same and as good as the gen 1. 

I now have two gen 3's I got so i could finally bear the sound of listening to music playing on a dot's speaker.  the gen 3 speaker sounds about as good as my first gen 1 tall Echo, and my newest dots will not be plugged into my stereo, but a gen 2 will likely replace the gen 1 which runs so warm that it needs to be sitting on a coaster for insulation.  No way would a gen 3 dot be wasted as a line out device when i will have a spare gen 2 dot!

DerbyDad03

I agree with jwlv that line-out is essentially the same audio out chip in all three dot generations.  not much to do to improve the audio chips today.  I have had a gen 1 plugged in my stereo since I got it, but recently put a gen 2 in its place to check something.  The gen 2 line out sounded the same and as good as the gen 1. 

I now have two gen 3's I got so i could finally bear the sound of listening to music playing on a dot's speaker.  the gen 3 speaker sounds about as good as my first gen 1 tall Echo, and my newest dots will not be plugged into my stereo, but a gen 2 will likely replace the gen 1 which runs so warm that it needs to be sitting on a coaster for insulation.  No way would a gen 3 dot be wasted as a line out device when i will have a spare gen 2 dot!

Thanks for sharing your real-world experience. I replaced a Gen 2 with a Gen 3 last night and, same as you, noticed no difference in the line-out sound quality. Looks are greatly improved (living room device) and perhaps the far-field microphone will be an improvement, although that's not a complaint about the Gen 2. I can't document any specific issues with the Gen 2 microphones, but who knows. There was the occasional need to repeat myself, but that's happens with Gen 3's too.

I decided to trade in my one Gen 2 on Prime Day to take advantage of the $5 Gift card and the 25% off a new device. After the trade-in refund, gift card and other bundles I've taken advantage of recently, I now have 4 Gen 3's at an average price of $28. Yeah, I wasted a few bucks overall (~$12) by swapping the 2 for the 3 but at least I'm consistent across the house now.

Speaking of microphone sensitivity, I can say without a doubt that the Gen 3 has better pick up than a Samsung Galaxy S6. Allow me to explain...

I was using an old S6 as a line out device in my workshop. It was mainly used to stream Amazon Music but one of the bundles I bought included a Smart Plug. I have a wet-dry vac in a cabinet that is the heart of my dust collection system. I had it plugged into a receptacle that was controlled by a hand held remote, but I wanted to try the Smart Plug so I could control it by voice. The S6 worked great for "Alexa, vacuum on" but couldn't hear me when I said "Alexa, vacuum off". I had to turn, face the phone and yell. The Gen 3 works so, so much better. I have to raise my voice slightly, especially if there is music playing, but I don't have to turn to face the device or yell. The Gen 3 can hear me from wherever I am in the shop and only occasionally asks "Did you mean vacuum?"