Echo & Alexa Forums

echo and dot in the same room

cin0

echo and dot in the same room
« on: April 17, 2016, 02:38:53 pm »
I ordered the dot with interest in connecting it to my av equipment but then realized that dot and echo would be in close proximity to each other.  has anyone had a chance to see if being to close to each other is a problem.

mike27oct

Re: echo and dot in the same room
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 02:50:42 pm »
Not a problem unless they have the same name.  Since my Echo and Dot are across from one another by a short hallway 10-15 feet apart, the Echo is named Alexa and the Dot is named Echo.  Dot is in family room and Echo is near stairs in living room.  Makes it easy to continue using Echo to talk to, and Dot mostly to feed the stereo.

cin0

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 10:02:46 pm »
when people sync 2 echos how does that work when they are in proximity of each other? I have a spot in the house that i am sure i could say Alexa and two echo's could hear me.

I am having the problem of (for lack of a better word) blind spots when i use the wake word. if i say Alexa when i am in the kitchen she might hear me but she may not its hit or miss and i would have to walk in the living room to see if she lights up. I would like to be able to say Alexa in any room and be sure i was heard without having to visually confirm. the remote is not really a good option since it defeats some of the purpose of having a voice command product. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 01:03:41 am »
Yes, Amazon already thought of that.
There is an audible confirmation that the Echo heard you whenever you say "Alexa."
The audible confirmation is off by default, so not many people even know it's available. To turn it on, start the Alexa app on your phone, then tap the menu button > settings > (the name of your Echo device) > sounds > and turn on the Wake up sound. Now whenever you say "Alexa" you'll hear a short beep to let you know that she's listening.

when people sync 2 echos how does that work when they are in proximity of each other? I have a spot in the house that i am sure i could say Alexa and two echo's could hear me.

I am having the problem of (for lack of a better word) blind spots when i use the wake word. if i say Alexa when i am in the kitchen she might hear me but she may not its hit or miss and i would have to walk in the living room to see if she lights up. I would like to be able to say Alexa in any room and be sure i was heard without having to visually confirm. the remote is not really a good option since it defeats some of the purpose of having a voice command product.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 04:36:01 am »
I have two that sometimes hear at the same time.  Since I mainly use the echo to turn stuff on and off, it has not been a problem.   Only once did both do the weather at the same time.  Talking about an echo...