Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa in 2 Locations (Home & Vacation)

amarzano

Alexa in 2 Locations (Home & Vacation)
« on: August 02, 2019, 06:24:39 pm »
We have a gaggle of Alexi in both locations in just about every room today.  This ranges from Echo Dots in the bedrooms to Echo + in kitchens and family rooms.  Where we run a foul are in the following areas:

- Integration to other smart devices (ie - Lutron Caseta - Alexa will only link to 1 account and you need separate accounts by location.  ADT Pulse is another where Alexa Guard will only link to 1 location at a time).
- Naming conventions - (ie - Master Bedroom Lights and xx-Master Bedroom Lights).  It would be easier to just call the Master Bedroom the same name in both locations and not have to add prefixes.  Same for the Alexa devices.
- Alexa Accounts - I tried to use my wife's Amazon account in one location and then mine in the other - but the accounts seem to be some how linked??  This is a plus for the calendaring / ordering so I would like to still do this.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how might be the most efficient way to set up 2 locations and mirror functionality in both places?

We have:

Alexa / Chamerlian MYQ / ADT Pulse / Lutron / Apple Homekit / SOMFY / and probably a few others running at both locations.

Thank you!

Alexa Nub.

Offline jwlv

Re: Alexa in 2 Locations (Home & Vacation)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 07:04:16 pm »
The best way to do this is to have each location's Echo devices on their own Amazon account.
For example:

House 1: All Echo devices in this house will be on Bob's Amazon account. All smart devices will be set up on Bob's account and linked to Alexa with Bob's accounts. This includes light switches, garage openers, thermostats, alarm systems, smart plugs, etc.

House 2: All Echo devices will be on Larry's Amazon account. Same deal as above.

If you walk into house 1 and say turn on kitchen light, the kitchen light in house 1 will turn on. Since everything in house 1 is only setup with Bob's account, nothing in house 2 will be affected by any Echo device in house 1.

amarzano

Re: Alexa in 2 Locations (Home & Vacation)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 08:09:52 pm »
I am in agreement - but can anyone explain the linking of my wife and my amazon account?  I tried to use hers and all our devices still showed up.

How / where do I delink the accounts?

The best way to do this is to have each location's Echo devices on their own Amazon account.
For example:

House 1: All Echo devices in this house will be on Bob's Amazon account. All smart devices will be set up on Bob's account and linked to Alexa with Bob's accounts. This includes light switches, garage openers, thermostats, alarm systems, smart plugs, etc.

House 2: All Echo devices will be on Larry's Amazon account. Same deal as above.

If you walk into house 1 and say turn on kitchen light, the kitchen light in house 1 will turn on. Since everything in house 1 is only setup with Bob's account, nothing in house 2 will be affected by any Echo device in house 1.