Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Show WiFi Connection dropped

Rob027

Echo Show WiFi Connection dropped
« on: July 03, 2019, 07:18:10 pm »
Had a strange experience yesterday - we have multiple Echo devices throughout the house (including 2 Shows) and connectivity has never been a problem.  After years of faithful service, BOTH Show devices lost their WiFi Connection, and would not reconnect.  Every time I went to settings / network the screen would go blank!  Note: All other WiFi devices were fine, including ALL of the other Echo devices.  Only the Shows were affected, and they are several rooms apart.)  I tried unplugging, wait, and replugging, multiple times, but it did not work.

Today, I tried disconnecting & reconnecting power again, and both Shows came back and connected themselves to the WiFi again!  Several hours later, still ok.

Can anyone explain what could have happened that would affect ONLY Show devices yesterday? Was there a software update?

UPDATE:  After several hours, both Shows dropped their WiFi Connection again, but ONLY the Shows. All other devices are fine.  Settings look fine.  This makes no sense.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:54:14 pm by Rob027 »

Re: Echo Show WiFi Connection dropped
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 03:56:30 pm »
you try a power cycle on your router and modem?   sometimes you can lose connections with some but not all.   unplug both (don't use power button) for a slow 10 count.  plug in the modem and wait for the proper lights, then plug in the router.   if you have a combo router/modem, then do the same - just one to unplug

Rob027

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 10:14:29 pm »
you try a power cycle on your router and modem?   sometimes you can lose connections with some but not all.   unplug both (don't use power button) for a slow 10 count.  plug in the modem and wait for the proper lights, then plug in the router.   if you have a combo router/modem, then do the same - just one to unplug

Yes, thanks, I did try that - out of sheer frustration. Same result.  Everything reconnected, but a few hours later the Show devices (and ONLY the Shows) dropped their connection. 

I power cycled the Shows again, and while they were momentarily connected, I switched them to the 5G WiFi channel.  So far, they are holding, but this doesn’t explain why they worked happily on the 2G channel for years, and then both decided on the same day they wouldn’t work there any more.  That’s why I was asking about software downloads.  Nothing else changed, except the Show devices dropped connection.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 02:08:41 am »
how old is your router?   could be it is about to go bad.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 02:52:55 am »
Renegade makes a good point. Routers are radio transmitters. They do eventually burn out, or at least degrade in performance over time.

Rob027

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 09:13:43 am »

3 months old, and it works perfectly.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 03:52:39 pm »

how far are the shows from the router?  for a test, try moving a show closer to the router - but not too close, maybe about three feet away.   another test is to swap with another echo and see if the different echo keep their connection. 

any new electronic devices lately?  what is the routers model number?

Rob027

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 04:39:36 pm »

how far are the shows from the router?  for a test, try moving a show closer to the router - but not too close, maybe about three feet away.   another test is to swap with another echo and see if the different echo keep their connection. 

any new electronic devices lately?  what is the routers model number?

I think we’re forgetting a few details mentioned earlier.

These Shows worked perfectly for years exactly where they are.  There are other Echo devices closer to the router, and others are farther away, which all still work perfectly and never drop connection.  I upgraded my router more than 3 months ago, and ALL devices (including both Shows) have worked perfectly since then - until BOTH Shows decided to drop connection at exactly the same time.  (For completeness of history, the Shows were purchased several months apart, and are NOT located near each other.)  I added no new electronic devices prior to this problem occurring, and nothing has changed that could be causing interference.

The router is a Fios quantum gateway G1100.  WiFi signal strength & speed tests are all great.

I understand the inclination to look at the router, but ALL other devices including other Echo devices, closer & farther away, are running happily without a single dropped connection.

Something unique to the Show devices (and ONLY the Show devices) caused them to drop their WiFi connection on the same day, at the same time. 

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 09:01:58 pm »
we are not forgetting, you are the one asking for help, we are not there to check things out for ourselves so we have to troubleshoot by giving suggestions.  Also you also have a NEW router so things changed from the time you originally installed the shows. 

swapping the show out with one of your working echos will see if it is a show problem or something else.  moving the show closer to the router will help to determine whether or not there is a signal problems.   However it is up to you whether or not to try the suggestions and it is up to us whether or not to help any further without the information needed. 

You can always go to amazon, click on help at the bottom of every page and get help.  or go to your app and contact amazon there. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 09:08:24 pm by renegade600 »

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 09:12:34 am »
From the info you provided, it's not possible to diagnose the problem. Wifi connections can be affected by several factors some of which we can only try to minimise.

Some things you can try:
1) use a wifi analyser app to see if there's any network congestion, i.e. other (neighbour's) routers on the same 2.4GHz channel as yours
2) try setting static IPs for all your echo devices so that they will retain the same IP after power cycles, reboots
3) try to separate/sort your wifi devices between the 2 bands, i.e. 2.4GHz for smart devices, 5GHz for phones, laptop, tablets
Echo Dot @ SG