Echo & Alexa Forums

New Echo 5, nice but deaf

New Echo 5, nice but deaf
« on: June 28, 2019, 05:12:04 am »
Hello,

I've already posted this problem on the general thread, but I didn't get any feedback.
My friend and I both have a new Echo 5. It's nice, but both of us noticed that this Echo is a bit deaf. Or very deaf. I have to repeat sometimes 4 or 5 times "Alexa (or Amazon)" before I get its attention. My Echo Spot that it's replacing didn't have this problem, and it was at the exact same place.
Anyone with the same problem?
Cheers,

Re: New Echo 5, nice but deaf
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 05:16:48 pm »
no reason to post it again.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 08:42:31 pm »
Echo Dot is circular with microphones that can pick up voices 360 degrees. Echo Show has microphones only in the front. When you speak to it  you must turn your head to face the front of the Echo Show. Like if you were talking to someone at your left side, you should turn your head to the left as you speak. It will not pick up voices from other directions like the circular Echo models.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 08:45:33 pm »
And because it has a screen it is expected that you will be within viewing distance from that screen and not yelling at it from across the room.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 06:00:32 am »
no reason to post it again.
Maybe I did because there has been no response to my first post on the other category?
And I got 2 here, not including yours... Want to up your stats, is that it?  ::)

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 06:06:33 am »
Echo Dot is circular with microphones that can pick up voices 360 degrees. Echo Show has microphones only in the front. When you speak to it  you must turn your head to face the front of the Echo Show. Like if you were talking to someone at your left side, you should turn your head to the left as you speak. It will not pick up voices from other directions like the circular Echo models.
Thank you for your response :)
The Echo 5 replaces an Echo Spot, not a Dot. If I'm not mistaken, the microphones on the Spot are located on its back. But it is way more responsive than the 5. Even when I say my command loud and clear, right in front of it, it doesn't pick it up 1 out of 3 tries. Same thing with my friend. I noticed that it works better if I leave a pause between the Amazon (or Alexa) startup command and the rest of the phrase.
The support is working on it, or so they told me. Might be a bug. Better be a bug, since it's happening to 2 Echos, 2 different places...