Echo & Alexa Forums

Harmony/single command

od1157

Harmony/single command
« on: April 16, 2016, 03:01:08 pm »
OK, as everyone on the forum knows Echo is a very powerful tool, initial setup and integration is a breeze. Echo and my Dot control most of the lights inside and out of my house, my home theater components, vacuum and soon my thermostat. The integration with with Harmony Hub works like magic starting and ending "activities". The issue I am running into is sending a single command thru the Hub that is not part of an activity. What I want is volume up, volume down (control the volume) on my receiver and start my vacuum (Roomba) with out having to start a "activity". Any ideas, suggestions or step by step instructions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, OD1157.

KHillski

Re: Harmony/single command
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 10:18:14 am »
The problem lies with Harmony's link to IFTTT. In order to execute an Echo voice command to Harmony, IFTTT can only execute Harmony Activities. Harmony will not let you create an activity that does not turn off the last activity that was turned on. So if you had executed an activity that turned on your TV and receiver, then tried to execute any other activity, Harmony would turn off the TV and receiver. I have been able to create a fictitious device in Harmony and have it learn IR commands, but once you create an activity to link to IFTTT, the on/off problem arises.

Maff

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 06:33:54 pm »
I have my harmony smart hub doing single commands triggered from an Alexa command. Another added bonus is being able to send a command from another activity during using a different activity. The process is a little complex though, and utilises several services, an android device eg phone or tablet and an app called tasker.

Feel free to ask for me to take you through it if you have the above & any experience with tasker. (Would be a long and boring post!).

There is sometimes a lag after the command given it uses IFTTT but it is useful for changing channel or raising volume if you have your hands in the washing up bowl!

Eg trigger pause, trigger volume up,  trigger channel down.

Offline kevb

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 08:18:30 am »
KHillski- You can change the power setting for your device in the Harmony software so that it will stay on when changing activities, and only turn off by giving it the "off" command.

The problem lies with Harmony's link to IFTTT. In order to execute an Echo voice command to Harmony, IFTTT can only execute Harmony Activities. Harmony will not let you create an activity that does not turn off the last activity that was turned on. So if you had executed an activity that turned on your TV and receiver, then tried to execute any other activity, Harmony would turn off the TV and receiver. I have been able to create a fictitious device in Harmony and have it learn IR commands, but once you create an activity to link to IFTTT, the on/off problem arises.