Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Routines Not Triggering From Ring Contact Sensors

ZPAKK911

Alexa Routines Not Triggering From Ring Contact Sensors
« on: June 18, 2019, 11:36:08 pm »
I have 6 echo devices and the Ring Home Security Systems with about 15 contact sensors / motion sensors and the ring doorbell with 8 ring cameras around the house.

I have routines created that trigger as follows:"WHEN Contact Sensor is OPENED, SEND ANNOUNCEMENT to all Alexa Devices that reads "<NAME OF SENSOR> OPENED".

This means, when the back door is opened, I get an announcement throughout the house (all devices) that tells me this has occurred. I also receive an announcement when motion is detected on my ring cameras or when the Ring doorbell is pressed / detects motion.

These routines have been setup for well over a month and have worked flawlessly for weeks, until about 2-3 days ago when they stopped working. The only items that trigger routines now are doorbell / camera detection and doorbell presses. None of the contact sensors are working to trigger routines any longer.

I have tried to delete and recreate the routines, no luck. I have tried to delete and reinstall the Ring and Alexa apps on my phone, no luck.

I am able to run the routines manually, they work. I am also able to verify that both Ring and Alexa can "see" the sensors and recognize when they are opened and closed, they just dont trigger the routines.

Anyone else having this problem or have a potential solution. It seems to me that the newly created Contact Sensor API is broken.

Offline jwlv

Re: Alexa Routines Not Triggering From Ring Contact Sensors
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 01:03:26 am »
My Ring sensor announcements still work as intended. There was a Ring update two days ago. Check your Ring app to see if you have any devices with updates pending. You can also try restarting the Ring base station and your Echo devices as well.

Although we'd like all of our devices to work continuously 24 hours a day, they do need a reboot every now and then. It's just my opinion that everyone should just turn off the main circuit breaker to their house at least every 6 months to reboot everything and keep them running smoothly. Routers, smart TV's, Echo/Google devices, smart plugs, etc. can all benefit from a reboot once in a while. I also force reboot (not just power off) my phone at least once a month too.

ZPAKK911

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 11:38:33 am »
My Ring sensor announcements still work as intended. There was a Ring update two days ago. Check your Ring app to see if you have any devices with updates pending. You can also try restarting the Ring base station and your Echo devices as well.

Although we'd like all of our devices to work continuously 24 hours a day, they do need a reboot every now and then. It's just my opinion that everyone should just turn off the main circuit breaker to their house at least every 6 months to reboot everything and keep them running smoothly. Routers, smart TV's, Echo/Google devices, smart plugs, etc. can all benefit from a reboot once in a while. I also force reboot (not just power off) my phone at least once a month too.

Thanks for the feedback. Are you still getting announcements from contact sensors opening and closing, or just the Ring cameras and doorbell? My cameras and doorbell triggers still work, just not the sensors.

I will try your suggestion of a full home reboot and see if that fixes the issue. I have performed the updates to the apps and the devices pending firmware updates, nothing else pending at the moment. I have also opened a ticket with Amazon to see if they can help.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 02:15:31 pm »
Sorry I forgot to mention that I only have the ring alarm. I do not have the camera or the doorbell. So yes, I have been getting and continue to get announcements on my echo devices wherever someone opens the front or back doors. They are on the magnetic contact sensors. The Alexa routines I created only announces when the sensor is in open position.

bazhig

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 01:56:17 pm »
I am having the same problem. Contact sensor still works and shows open/closed under devices but the routines no longer work. I have deleted routines and reentered  them for both open and close but they don't work. If I play the routine it works but not in real life. What have the developers done????????