Echo & Alexa Forums

to change or..

to change or..
« on: July 02, 2019, 07:05:46 pm »
to change or not to change, that is the question.

My internet went out early this morning and they replaced my modem with a wireless router/modem.   from the looks of it, I am getting almost 10 percent better wifi signal with it.   My old router connected to it without any problems so I still have access to all of my smart devices.    Now I am trying to decide whether or not I want to move everything to the new router and suffer the problems of reseting wifi on everything, keep things the way they are, or keep smart devices on the old router while moving major devices like computers, tvs, dvd players, smartphone and tablets to it.   decisions, decisions, decisions...

new router is arris dg 3450  and the old is netgear wndr3700 v3.  what do you think?

Offline jwlv

Re: to change or..
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 02:19:27 am »
Well, if you set up the same SSID and WPA2 password on the new router, you don't need to change a thing!
I've gone through at least 4 routers this way and never had to change anything on any of my WiFi devices. And I have a lot of WiFi devices. At last count, it was around 54 devices.
However, if you used the WPS push button to set up your devices, you won't be able to do what I did. WPS sets up some kind of random password that the user has no control over.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 07:34:03 am »
⁹i also have gone through several routers using the same SID and password which saved resetting every thing. However not all routers have the same default ip 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 this can also make switching more involved. My last old modem I kept as a back up so if the new one goes a simple swap gets me back up quickly.
Your new modem may have more options and is more likely to have firmware support longer.
Personaly I'd make the switch to the new modem.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 08:29:21 am »
Every router has the ability to change its default network IP, at least every router that I've ever owned. That includes Linksys, Belkin, Cisco, Asus, D-Link, and probably a few others. I have Google WiFi now with 4 nodes scattered around the house. When I first got the Google WiFi router, it did not allow IP address changes. So I had some difficulty with a few network cameras because I needed to setup port forwarding. But Google eventually did add the ability to change the default Network IP.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 01:36:17 pm »
thanks for all the food for thought.  It brought up stuff I forgot.  One comment about keeping the ssid and password.  I was going to do that but the last time I change routers, I still had issues and had to do a power cycle on all of my wemo switches.  it was a major pain in more ways than one.  moving the couch, crawling under desks and tables are not fun, especially when crawling under a desk left me seeing stars the last time.   then I will have a bunch of devices that will have to move since the router and modem are in two different rooms.   I wonder how long before I burn down the duples with overloaded power outlets?

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 03:29:24 pm »
just to update.   I decided to leave things the way they are time being.  unless I run some new wires, the new modem/router is not in the center of the apartment as the old router is.  I was losing connects on the few devices I tested it on.    I did move the tvs and computers to it but that is about all. 

again thanks for all the help.