Echo & Alexa Forums

Windows 10 Alexa App - Run in background?

laurin1

Windows 10 Alexa App - Run in background?
« on: May 14, 2019, 02:40:59 pm »
I don't know if this is the correct forum, but I thought the Windows 10 Alexa App was supposed to run in the background. That is not working. If I click the X, the app exits. I can get the Wake Word to work, but only if the app is running in the foreground. Disappointed.  :-\

Re: Windows 10 Alexa App - Run in background?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 05:30:12 pm »
I don't know if this is the correct forum, but I thought the Windows 10 Alexa App was supposed to run in the background. That is not working. If I click the X, the app exits. I can get the Wake Word to work, but only if the app is running in the foreground. Disappointed.  :-\
windows apps stop working if you close them (clicking on the X) if you wish the program to run in the background you need to click the minimize button (-).  ;)

laurin1

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 06:57:44 am »
Thanks, I'm aware of how that works, but that is not what "run in the background means" and the app specifically says that "even when the app is running in the background" in the settings.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 07:24:30 am »
Running in the background usually refers to a service.
You may wish to research how to load a Windows App/Program as a service.
Here is one article:
https://www.howtogeek.com/50786/using-srvstart-to-run-any-application-as-a-windows-service/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:26:12 am by tuicemen »

laurin1

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 07:33:30 am »
I'm aware of how to make an app run as a service as well, but thanks again. Apps can run in the background when not running as a service. I can give you lots of examples (DisplayFusion, LightBulb, etc..), but launching, then removing all foreground windows. I'm a developer. What I am asking is why all the articles I've read, and the app itself, refers to the app running in the background as an option, but there is no inherent way to do that. I thought maybe I was just missing a setting or something. Running apps as a service that are not optimized to do so is not ideal and if this app does not support it, then I just won't use it...I was just hoping that I was wrong.