Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Guard security feature in US rollout

AlanH

Alexa Guard security feature in US rollout
« on: May 14, 2019, 07:20:13 am »
Alexa Guard, a free feature update, turns Echo speakers into security devices when no-one's home by allowing them to listen for key sounds indicating danger or intrusion.
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/05/14/alexa-guard-rolls-out-echo-devices-us/
https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=ods_rr_surl?tag=macrumors-20&node=18021383011

Edit: here’s a slightly more detailed description of the feature, along with a list of compatible devices.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/14/18622968/alexa-guard-amazon-echo-security-how-to-get
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:22:56 pm by AlanH »

Re: Alexa Guard security feature in US rollout
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 07:25:35 pm »
If I have 5 diffrent echo devices do I have to turn each one on individually or do they all go on when I say Alexa I am leaving?

Coderunner

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 10:53:11 pm »
If I have 5 different echo devices do I have to turn each one on individually or do they all go on when I say Alexa I am leaving?

Good question. I have read several articles including Amazons release and it is not specific. However, based upon their recommendation to have an echo device in each room where protection is desired I would believe any device hearing the keywords would activate or deactivate Guard. That being said, I would actually hope you could have the option to set which echo device could activate or deactivate Guard.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 12:11:16 am »
Amazon just enabled Guard for my Echo devices.

To summarize, when you leave the house just say "I'm leaving" and Guard will be turned on. You can enable specific features, such as glass break sounds, smoke & CO detector sounds, and Ring devices. Guard can turn on/off lights when it is night time and you are away so it appears that someone's home. When you first enable Guard, it'll take you through the initial settings where you can enable or disable certain features. If you enable a feature, it will default to be enabled for every device. For example, if you enable glass break sounds, it will be listening for that on every Echo device you own. If you enable automatic lights on/off, every device that is a light will be part of that. Once you are done with the initial settings, you can go back to the settings and pick and choose which devices you want or do not want to be part of the Guard system. I have cabinet lights that I do not want to be part of Guard so I just unchecked it in the settings. I also have an Echo Dot in the car that I don't want to be a part of Guard so I unchecked that too.

Chris

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 10:18:38 am »
Installed.
Promptly advises me when activated on my phone.
However failed the test.
One echo virtually right next to the siren but simply does not hear it.

tmozer3

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 09:42:53 pm »
OK I have Echo devices at three different properties (addresses).  All Echo's are under the same Amazon Prime account.  I have setup Alexa Guard at the location I am now with my Echo Show (which is here) and only the smart lights at this location. 

Two questions:  Can I set up Guard at my other locations?  Also having Guard activated on only one Echo device (my Echo Show here currently) and I tell other local Echo devices (I have a couple Dots around the house) to activate Guard or can I only do so on the Show?

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 01:50:28 pm »
OK I have Echo devices at three different properties (addresses).  All Echo's are under the same Amazon Prime account.  I have setup Alexa Guard at the location I am now with my Echo Show (which is here) and only the smart lights at this location. 

Two questions:  Can I set up Guard at my other locations?  Also having Guard activated on only one Echo device (my Echo Show here currently) and I tell other local Echo devices (I have a couple Dots around the house) to activate Guard or can I only do so on the Show?

Same here... I don't see a way to group alexas at different addresses.

fertree

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 11:03:03 pm »
If I have 5 diffrent echo devices do I have to turn each one on individually or do they all go on when I say Alexa I am leaving?
I have 2 echos. When I left the house I turned on the living room, not worrying about the office Alexa. A week later, when I got an alert, it was from the office which I did not turn on, so yes, turn on one apparently turns on all.  As it turned out, the alarm was for breaking glass, but when I listened, it was a strange sort of buzzing sound,repeated over and over,  very loud. It could not be heard when I dropped in on the Echo in the next room, 20 feet or so away which leads me to believe there's a problem with the Echo or guard software. A friend is on his way over to determine that Sasquatch is not actually in my office, and the problem is the Echo.