Echo & Alexa Forums

MikeNY

« on: April 14, 2016, 07:43:08 pm »
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:15:17 am by MikeNY »

mike27oct

Re: List of preferred equipment.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 01:34:43 am »
Subscribe to Consumer Reports magazine, and you will likely get your answer. 
Subscribers also have full access to their website chock full of past articles and product evaluations. 
Non-subscribers can read a lot (but not all) of the current articles.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 01:43:30 am by mike27oct »

DParker

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 11:27:16 am »
I do now, but they don't test everything and some of their evaluations are subjective.

I just wanted to add: Consumer Reports reviews the smart home, says no to Nest and is meh on Hue

I don't know about the Nest, but CR's main gripe with Hue is the cost, which is a legitimate point.

DParker

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 11:50:40 am »
I have 2 Ecobee3s that I must say I've been pretty happy with so far.  I've only had them for just under 1 year so I can't evaluate their long-term reliability yet, but they were easy to install and configure, and both the Android app and web interface work well.

My daughter has a Nest thermostat that she got for free from her electricity provider about 8 months ago.  She's not what you'd call a technology power-user, but she hasn't had any complaints about it yet.  What sort of problems do you have with yours?

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 01:08:02 pm »
I have the honeywell thermostat and still waiting on amazon echo to support it directly.  They said by the end of march...  I am using honeywell because I do not have a c wire and it was the only one that I found at the time that I can run a wire to a wall outlet. 

DParker

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 05:24:15 pm »
All you have to do is provide a "C" wire by adding a 24 volt power supply. It's easy.. then you too can bang your head on the wall with a NEST.

The Ecobee3 even includes what they call a "Power Extender Kit" for that very purpose.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 05:42:00 pm »
at the time I purchased the honeywell, there was not much info out there about c-wire replacements.  The only one I could find anything about was honeywell so I went with them.   This was several years ago. 

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 06:06:37 pm »
Does your Honeywell use batteries to compensate for the lack of a "C"?

at the time I purchased the honeywell, there was not much info out there about c-wire replacements.  The only one I could find anything about was honeywell so I went with them.   This was several years ago.

as I said in my original post, I had to run a wire from it to the wall outlet, so no batteries. 

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 06:35:09 pm »
Oh right.. I remember now.. sorry. I'm old..  :(

Does your Honeywell use batteries to compensate for the lack of a "C"?

as I said in my original post, I had to run a wire from it to the wall outlet, so no batteries.

It happens to me all the time.  Sometimes my memory gets so bad, I forget what I read in a previous paragraph :-)