Echo & Alexa Forums

"The Top Rock Station" - unexpected results

JonathanMurray

"The Top Rock Station" - unexpected results
« on: May 08, 2019, 10:49:33 am »
Amazon music has a station called "Top Rock," which features a pretty good list of current rock music - roughly equivalent to Octane on SiriusXM if you're a listener.  A couple of years ago, when I first learned of this station, I was able to ask Alexa to "play the top rock station," or even just "play top rock," and the results were as expected.

Then one day, Alexa decided to interpret my words.  Same command (verified in the app log), yielded a station called "90's grunge and techno," or something to that effect.  Not my station.

I told the app that was not what I wanted, and went into great detail with tech support trying to figure this out.  They never did correct this problem, instead offering other channels that I might want to listen to... not my idea of a solution.

Today, asking for "the top rock station," no longer gets me 90's grunge, but it also doesn't get "top rock."  Instead it now yields "the classic rock station."

I can only assume that Alexa is interpreting "top" as "most popular," without considering that it is also part of the name of an actual station.  Oddly enough, even asking for "the station top rock," which should absolutely clarify what I want, it still is misinterpreted and serves up some good old classic rock.  I suppose, if nothing else, it gives some useful insight into how commands are interpreted as separate words, regardless of order.

I did eventually learn that I could ask for "the hard rock station," and get "the top rock station" in return.

Anyone else with an issue like this, or is it just me...?